cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: Reduced available broadband speed for my household

Go to solution

from a quick chat with my current provider (Sky) it turns out that even though I can get superfast broadband from my exchange, Sky are actually limiting the speed in my area as theyre not set up for the faster speeds yet (their words). They advise that I switch provider if its a faster speed I need for home working

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

Go to solution

as I posted you are getting max for you package  really surprised SKY not selling the faster up to 80mb in your area - your estimated speed was  between 74/55

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 13 of 13

Go to solution

Sky are either telling you a load of nonsense or you have misunderstood what they have said ,

Openreach FTTC comes in 3 speed profiles 40Mb , 55Mb , and 80 Mb , even though you line is apparently capable of around 75Mb , for whatever reason Sky have only put you on the 40Mb profile, so Sky are limiting you by virtue of purchasing the 40Mb profile from  Openreach for your broadband account with Sky  , if a neighbour ( for example ) was with BT and they were paying for ‘Fibre2’ , that’s  the 80 Mb profile, although unlikely to get to 80Mb , it probably would provide 75Mb , as would your line if Sky put you on that profile.

However , Sky only taking the 40Mb profile shouldn’t affect your the estimated offered by other providers, they should be offering speeds in the range 65-75 Mb maximum, with a minimum speed probably in the high 50’s 

There is no reason why Sky would limit you to their lower tier speed unless they have a capacity problem within the Sky network ( not Openreach ) and to save congestion reports they will only sell 40Mb in your area , but that’s extremely unlikely, although that does seem to be what they are saying the issue is , 

personally I think they have either knowingly or not knowingly put you on 40Mb even though 80Mb profile is available….simply  switch to BT and take ‘Fibre 2’ , as you have posted on here I have assumed it’s BT you will use  as an alternative to Sky , otherwise why post on the BT forum .