cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Regular reductions in speed

I am currently on BT100 but, on Saturday, I upgraded to BT900.  This was before I started doing some research on the BT100 service.

I was struggling with streaming so I ran some speedtests (all over wifi) over a couple of days.  Sometimes I was getting 140MBPS but, regularly, it dropped to 30-40MBPS.  The drops could happen anytime but seemed more prolific in the evening.

Google gave me links to sites where BT customers were experiencing this.  I understand that does not mean it's a common issue but it tells me my experience is not unique.

Using MyBT I reported an issue using the standard options.  BY advised me there was a fault outside my house and that they would fix it.  24 hours later I got an SMS saying it was fixed.  The speed drops continue.

This is in the context of having lost all BB about two weeks and it also being traced as out of house and being fixed a day or so later.

My question is how can BT say something is fixed when it seems to be a continuous experience (problem?).

Plus will BT900 be anymore reliable or am I likely to see similar behaviour but with bigger numbers.  900MBPS dropping to a quarter (230MBS) or, worse, dropping to 20-30MBPS?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Regular reductions in speed

Thought I'd add a bit more.

I logged into the router and selected the "Test my speed"  option.  Rather than do a test I am taken immediately to this page

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi

where I am prompted to do a test and then report an error.  There are 4 tick boxes to report on.

Further questions

Is this the normal process?

or

Is the test so quick when there is a fault that I am immediately required to report it?

This is the route I took to report the issue of dropping speeds on Saturday and reported as being fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

@Navrig 

"so I ran some speedtests (all over wifi) "

Speed tests over WiFi should be considered unreliable.

Not only are you testing your broadband connection, you are also testing your in home WiFi - which can be affected by a number of factors including local interference. A transmission chain is only as good as its weakest link.

Are you able to do speed tests with a desktop PC or laptop connected to the router Hub using an ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Hi, I know the feeling? Got fibre 500 installed and was great for about 2 weeks then one day was very slow so a speed test showed 50MBPS where it was usually 400+ upload was way down as well?

I tried a reboot but to no avail so went on to the “fix a problem” BT did a reboot from their end and low and behold back to normal, all good, 4 days later exactly the same? Self reboot does nothing but magically BT reboot fixes the issue?

are they purposely slowing the speed until I complain? It seems a bit strange that it only works after they reboot it and not me? So I’m getting a bit miffed at the moment

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Cabled test results for a newly activated (yesterday) BT900 service.

Navrig_0-1724839778542.png

Is there a settling-in period?

A speed test upstairs via a pair of Powerline adaptors was 40MBPS.

I find the most ftrustrating thing is that the Test my broadband option in the router doesn't seem to actually test my broadband.  It opens a new web page (see my posts above) and then you can "Test" and then it opens a report page (https://www.bt.com/exp/engineer-booking/?stage=issues).

So I have no idea what the test result is.

The options for reporting are:

Navrig_0-1724840043124.png

It's none of them really.  It';s just that I am not getting the promised/contracted speed.

Then you test again and the system gives you a reference number to track "the fault" but I don't actually know if they have detected a fault.

Navrig_1-1724840171592.png

Then they tell you it is fixed but it isn't......

I am getting dizzy.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Well lets ignore powerline and WIFI, unfortunately both can be unreliable and the former particularly bad.

I do wonder looking at that test and the similarity between the down and up speed if somehow you have a bad cable which has negotiated at 100BASE between your Router and your PC somewhere. I note you got 140Mbps over WIFI before so its likely not the cable between the ONT and Router.

Out of interest, which ONT and Router do you have?

There isnt a settling in period on Fibre.

The information around whether a download profile can be incorrectly set is flaky, as in your upload profile was altered to 110 like it should be and the 100 was not, but in your case again youve had over 100 so its not likely thats an issue where it was stuck on an old profile.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

I have a Smart Hub 2 and this in the connector box which, I presume, is the ONT is the following

Photo deleted but ONT identified and named in next post.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Its probably not a huge deal but if thats your actual ONT its not the best idea to have the serial number posted in case you want to delete it. Yeah thats the Nokia 2.5G ONT from just looking at it, recently saw someone with poor speeds after a product change get resolved by a change of ONT.

Anyway, where you have conducted the wired speed test can you check the LAN adapters link speed and make sure its 1Gbps? You can do this usually by just checking the status. Its definitely going to be important to check that that is indeed 1Gbps before performing the test.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 9 of 17

WiFi test connected to the Smart Hub and one stud partition in the way, 15 feet away.

Navrig_0-1724844459048.png

It's this complete lack of consistency which is confusing.

LAN adaptor - do you mean within my laptop?

I run a Pixel Book not a Windows machine.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

@Navrig 

I notice that in all of the speed tests that you have posted, you are connecting to a server in Dublin.

Where, (roughly), in the country are you, and have you tried changing to a server closer to you, (and a few other locations), to see if the results are consistent?

0 Ratings