cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Regular reductions in speed

A little bit more research.

WiFi connected to the Smart Hub I am getting 400-450MBPS which is excellent.

Wired to my Pixel Book I am getting 90MBPS which makes me think the USB-C dongle is 100MBPS rated.

It looks like I am getting the BT900 service.  I'll just have to experiment with how I maximise distribution of the service around the house.  The Poerline adaptors have been excellent over the years but perhaps they are due for replacement or upgrade.  The house is an awkward shape with the service coming in at the least effective corner of the house - house built circa 2000.

Message 12 of 17

@Navrig said:

WiFi test connected to the Smart Hub and one stud partition in the way, 15 feet away.

naylor2006_0-1724845058830.png

It's this complete lack of consistency which is confusing.

LAN adaptor - do you mean within my laptop?

I run a Pixel Book not a Windows machine.

that WIFI speed test is exactly what I would expect one stud wall away, in fact its better than I'd hope for.

Okay, I assume you are using an adapter for the Pixel Book for wired ethernet? In which case the adapter is likely to be limited to 100up/down so not a great test. You can probably confirm the link speed another way.

EDIT: So you confirmed my thoughts in a further post.

If you want 900Mbps WIFI in every room or close to you are going to need to spend alot of money and time configuring the network and radios. I wanted this for when I moved to 900Mbps and if you look at my sig you will see how many AP's I have to achieve this....

Power lines are fine for very basic tasks but you'll be lucky to ever get over 100Mbps from one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

I am in SE Scotland.  I have run several tests using different online services.  The speeds vary by about 10%.

So I am using the basic one provided by a Google search.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

With faster incoming speed to the Router you will still get the same diminishing WIFI, sure next to the router itll be faster or quite close to.

Its a fairly common thing to crop up, a user upgrades fibre to 10x the speed they had before then suddenly its becomes how apparent the existing infrastructure was limiting the performance, you probably just didnt notice as much.

Achieving 700Mbps plus and house wide coverage over WIFI takes time, money and effort....and im afraid to say, not repeaters, extenders or powerlines will do this, you will need hard wired AP's around the property, even your best MESH system cant do it as every wireless hop will significantly drop the speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

@naylor2006 

"even your best MESH system cant do it as every wireless hop will significantly drop the speed"

Does that also apply if each of the Mesh access points is cabled back to the router, as I have with my BT Whole Home WiFi setup? (WiFi on Hub / router completely disabled).

Interestingly, since I bought the WHW system nearly 7 years ago, I have always used all three disks. A few months ago, I removed one of the disks and re-positioned one of the others.

Since then, I have noticed a significant improvement in WiFi performance.

I guess that previously they were clashing and interfering with each other?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

@Paul608085 they key phrase is every wireless hop

Wholehome can do quite well when each disc is connected back to the router, each disc will indeed get the full available speed, I indeed ran with 9 discs in one of the most insane Wholehome setups ever: A Story - BT Wholehome AC2600 9 Disc Setup (Anyone... - BT Community

However even whilst using ethernet each disc causes an issue, you cannot set each disc on a different channel to one another, they'll all be thunking traffic over the same channel so indeed, there will be interference all the time, you might get 500Mbps in one room but this will then load up the other discs near by etc.

Ive moved the Unifi now and have every AP that are close enough together to cross talk on channels far enough apart so they do not, using 80Mhz, this will allow for compatible devices to reach 850Mbps on a single AP whilst the neighbouring ones can also serve the same speed at the same time. Having a system like that really opens the eyes, when I first got it and ran a couple speed test prior to messing with the radios, maxing out one AP would also 100% load up the neighbouring one with interference almost rendering it useless.

So yeah, actually when all discs are on the same channel, less can indeed be better.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

OMG! I thought I had issues 😱 good luck with your set up! Strange that we’ve put men on the moon Tesla can use satellites for wifi and the JWST can send signals from millions of miles away but WiFi drops through a wall 😂😱
0 Ratings