cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Router spec question

Hi, long story short I was with plusnet till about Jan this year and getting 70Mbs through their standard "fibre".  Switched to BT 150Mbs "fibre" and have had issues since with high latency which seem to be getting worse (yesterday it went over 1 second for the first time).  I reported the issue, BT initially looked into it but gave up after about 2 weeks back in Feb (they did lots of tests and sent out an engineer, initially saying I was getting less than 100Mbs then essentially saying "its fine", they seem unconcerned with latency, only Mbs). 

We are moving house soon (probably in July but have no date yet) so I dont have time for weeks of telephone conversations with BT, I need to be able to work so will have to try and diagnose.  The cables in the house have been looked at by an engineer (back in Feb) and no issues found, I have switched things off/disconnected-things/tried other cables etc and no change.  I would now like to verify that it is not the router, two options seem to exist,

1. Reconfigure the existing home hub 2 (to use the slower connection? not a great plan incase I mess up the config and have to factory reset, will take time, also may not be possible).

2. Buy a entry-level or mid-range router and set it up to see what latency I get.

Below is a screenshot of the line information page,  the main ask is what spec router do I need and where do I get the required settings once I have chosen one?  (I need enough information to ensure I buy a router that can connect at around 50Mbs or more, I currently get 140 or so which is nice but the latency spikes of 500-1000ms lasting hours mean I cant game and can hardly work)

line information,line information, 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Router spec question

unfortunately you are on G.FAST and you need to get compatible routers/modems  - a standard router will not do

is there any line noise on your landline  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent.

are you using ethernet connects instead of wifi?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

are you still in a fixed term contract with BT and If so will you be moving your BT broadband to your new home?  Is your new home ready for FTTP - fibre to the premises?

your current home is now able to get FTTP maybe not available when you changed over to G.FAST

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the prompt reply, info is as follows,

Issue is over ethernet and wifi.

Engineer checked for noise and the download rate is unaffected by the latency (I would assume noise on the line would impact the maximum sustainable connection, however noise one way only may not?)

Yes I am in contract (2 year term started Jan 22), yes the new property has FTTP but it is with another provider so I will end up paying to get out of the BT contract but that is what it is. If we were staying longer I may consider upgrading here to FTTP as I assume that would eliminate any potential issues with the copper.

Can one buy G.Fast capable routers?

If so where does one go to find appropriate settings to make them work?

Can I ask to be downgraded to the slower connection (70Mbs ish)? Still paying the same is fine.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@nathanmnm wrote:

Can one buy G.Fast capable routers?

Yes, but they are few and far between. The Asus DSL AC88U is one of the very few.

If so where does one go to find appropriate settings to make them work?

It is pretty much plug and play, just enter the generic PPPoE credentials when prompted.

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

Can I ask to be downgraded to the slower connection (70Mbs ish)? Still paying the same is fine.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@nathanmnm 

is there no option to get FTTP from BT at your new home?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

No option to get anything from BT from the new place other than basic ADSL at about 5MBs i.e. pretty much useless as there are two of us working mostly from home.   The FTTP is through another company and will hopefully work out, if not then we may well end up on mobile connections, not great but good enough (EE 3G tested at 20Mbs and three 4G at over 80Mbs so both considerably higher than BT).

It might not be the router, in which case trying another router will be a waste of time and money.  Getting BT to send a replacement router to try would cost less but probably take longer. We get nearly 20Mbs mobile where we are now so when the latency is high on the G.Fast it may be simpler to tether and ignore it - all depends when we move I guess and that could be in two weeks or two months (hopefully not longer).

0 Ratings