cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Routing fibre cable from entry point to ONT box

I have been contacted by email by BT to say that they will be contacting me soon to arrange to install the Digital Voice service, and they added that they will be upgrading me to Full Fibre with no extra charge on my current contract. Currently I am on Fibre 2 service (approx 50mb).  This forum has been great for researching this topic. I have worked out my ideal install set up and hope that Openreach will be able to accommodate me. I have a Plan B worked out just in case, but it’s not ideal. I understand from posts on the forum that the ONT box does not HAVE to be installed at the point the fibre cable enters the property. The “straight line” distance between the point of entry of the cable (very close to the existing point of entry for the copper wire) and my preferred ONT location is approx 2metres, although the cable route will require approx 8 metres of cable (skirting board run and doorway). My questions:

1. Is the cable that runs to the ONT flexible enough to fit neatly to the 90 degree angles around the door frame?

2. Will the installer insist on plugging the ONT box directly into a wall socket, or will they be OK plugging it into a trailing lead?

I am hoping that as BT contacted me about this (not me contacting them) they will be more inclined to agree to my suggestion (assuming no insurmountable technical issues). Plan B involves moving my BT Hub, Phillips Hue hub and cordless phone base station to a less than ideal location.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Routing fibre cable from entry point to ONT box

You don't say how far the router will be from the ONT but the two are connected with a standard cat5E/6 cable so can be a long distance apart (up to 100metres in theory). You might be able to run an Ethernet cable where you were expecting to run the fibre for the ONT if the engineer cannot put the ONT in your preferred location.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for the prompt reply. My hall table is where my BT router, HUE box and cordless phone base station and power socket are all located. My ideal ONT location is on the wall next to the table - so it’s within 12 inches of the router. My query relates to the feasibility of routing the fibre cable from the entry point to the hall table location.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

It would be much easier to run an Ethernet cable, but presume the main objection is lack of power socket for the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Optical cable doesn’t like right angles, if routing around skirting or door frames the cable cannot be bent at 90’, the minimum bend radius is 30mm , or imagine the cable having to ‘bend’ around the edge of a £2 coin to go around a bend , the installer won’t care if the mains is a wall outlet or a power extension lead as long as the ONT power lead can reach .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for replying Licquorice

By the word ‘objection’ do you mean that you envisage that the installer will insist on plugging the ONT into a wall mounted power socket, as distinct from a socket on a trailing lead?

Do you mean run an Ethernet cable from the point of entry to the ONT? If so, how does the Ethernet cable connect to the incoming cable from the CSP?

Sorry for the newbie questions…

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

No, run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the hub. The ONT doesn't have to be adjacent to the hub, they can be 100M apart.

No, I meant your objection to the siting of the ONT 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

When BT said they are going to upgrade you to "Full Fibre" did you confirm with them that that means Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)?
BT has a habit of talking about Full Fibre when what they mean is Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC)
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

As the OP already has fibre2 how could they be upgraded to FTTC?

BT refer to FTTC as 'Fibre' and FTTP as 'Full Fibre'

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Yes, it’s FTTP. The BT initial advice email says:

”engineer to install Full Fibre at your property”

I presume my upgrade from Fibre 2 will be to a package offering the lowest FTTP speed (150mb I think), which they were offering me free of charge anyway when I checked my BT online account a while back. 

0 Ratings