cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Significant Reduction in speed & connection drops - FTTP

Hello everyone,

I am writing to share my experience with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) broadband, which I have been using for the last 18 months. I was initially very happy with the service, as I was getting speeds of up to 950mbps download and 110mbps upload, which was amazing for streaming, gaming and working from home.

However, about three weeks ago, I noticed a significant drop in my download speed, which went down to 75mbps, while my upload speed remained the same. This was very frustrating, as I was experiencing buffering, lagging and disconnections on a regular basis. I checked my connection using a wired ethernet cable and found that it was not a problem with my wifi router, but with the FTTP itself.

I contacted my provider and they completed diagnostic tests, I had checked the router and Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which is the device that connects the fibre optic cable to my home. The tech support stated that there was no obvious issue with the ONT, as it had green lights and no error messages. He suggested that there might be a problem with the fibre cable or the exchange An engineer needed to be booked. Following day engineer called and stated he could not investigate further because he had no change to pay for parking in central Manchester, where I live (M3 area)... astonishing....

I was very disappointed with this response, as I felt that he did not take my issue seriously and did not try to resolve it. I raised a complaint with my provider and they apologised for the inconvenience and offered me a credit on my next bill. They also said that they would send another engineer on Monday 24th April, who would have enough change for parking.

I am hoping that this engineer will be able to fix my issue and restore my FTTP speed to its original level. I am paying a premium for this service and I expect it to work as advertised. I will update you on the outcome of this visit.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with FTTP? How did you resolve it? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Significant Reduction in speed & connection drops - FTTP

I would like to add if it is possible to look into my issue I can provide all relevant information including references as I feel unfortunately my issue is some way off being resolved
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

you keep saying your provider but is your provider BT Retail?

if you have openreach coming on 24th then just need to wait and see what happens

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Yes, provider being BT - thought it would be fairly obvious given that I am posting on a BT forum.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

if it was obvious I would not have asked.  often posts are from clients of other ISP looking for help with openreach problems.

what speeds do you get if you run   fast.com using an ethernet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

75mbps - it is in the body of the post.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

What speed do you get connected directly to the ONT (no router involved)? Connet laptop/PC to ONT and set up a PPOE connection.

User name bthomehub@btbroadband.com Password BT.

0 Ratings