cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Siting of modem

Go to solution
That’s helpful, thanks. So would the engineer be able to attach the internal fibre to skirtings etc., or would it be feasible for me to run a fibre myself under the stairs (neater) and leave a coil of it near the front door and where I want the ONT fixing in the living room?
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

The installer will probably run the fibre externally, clipped to the wall and enter the living room where the ONT is to be sited. You cannot run a fibre yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

@Jpn201wrote:
Yes, I did, that’s when it told me the photo (screenshot) was too big!

Use a jpeg optimiser e.g. https://jpeg-optimizer.com/  This will reduce the file size.

Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Although you are struggling to post an image , what does it say, the pertinent part ( for a fully ducted home is ) ,
Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.
What does your show ?
The ONT doesn’t have to go where the master socket is , occasionally the installation of the ONT cannot be where the customer wants it , because it’s going to be impractical or time consuming to put it there , but the installer will try to accommodate if the request is reasonable.
With some properties, if ( for example ) the ONT is required at the rear , but the new optical cable appears at the front , it would be preferable to run the cable on the outside wall from front to back , rather than surface mounted on skirting boards/ door frames, through various rooms , to get to the same location internally, but obviously this may not be possible, on terraced houses for example.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks, it says:

Single dwelling unit residential ug duct rodded and roped

I’m in a mid terrace unfortunately.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution
Presumably there is a ( normally blue ) rope on the outside of your property from the joint box that contains the CBT that would serve your property, the rope used to pull the cable through the duct .
If , for example, where the rope appears , from this point providing an access hole into a living room could be made, where power outlets are available , that would probably be where an installer would prefer to fit the ONT ( if there is no power in the hallway where the existing NTE master socket is ) but ultimately it would be the installer and yourself that would decide between yourselves what’s possible, and what isn’t , if you couldn’t agree , presumably you cancel the order and the installer abandons the job , it’s not really possible to be anymore informative than that .
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

jpeg-optimizer_IMG_3773 2.jpegjpeg-optimizer_IMG_0548 3.png

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks, that’s great!!
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

So you can see the rope ( it’s not blue but white ) so getting an optical cable to here should be straightforward, it’s probable that the engineer will remove the existing grey ‘box’ (a BT66 )  , and replaced it with a CSP in the same place ( on top of the duct cover ) from here another optical cable is taken to the location of the ONT ( inside the property ) , the neatest job is to use the same ‘hole’ that the copper cable uses to get into the house ( you cannot see it because it’s behind/inside the BT 66 ) …..if you order FTTP it’s a single stage install ( because the duct is roped ) so on the day you and the installer would hopefully agree to where the ( internal) cable will be run to ,you won’t get a visit to discuss requirements and another later visit for the installation, the internal cable cannot be put under carpets , behind cavity walls etc and not be  ‘miles’ away from where the cable actually enters the property….if you get a contractor ( rather than an OR engineer ) they cannot afford to take hours and hours on a single provide , but you won’t know in advance if it’s OR or a contractor that has your ‘job’.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution
That’s helpful, thanks. I’ve still no idea how they’ll get the cable across the hall and into the living room but I suppose if I’m just not happy at what the engineer suggests, they’d have to cancel it and I’ll stick with the existing broadband.
0 Ratings