cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

Slow Fibre 1 Issue

Hi

I'm trying to sort out my elderly mother-in-law's internet connection.

She's on a Fibre 1 account but regularly gets only 17 Mbps download on wi-fi and, when plugged in directly to the router only gets around 7 Mbps.

This seems exceptionally slow for a Fibre 1 account.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Re: Slow Fibre 1 Issue

The speed of a broadband connection is determined by distance from the green cabinet.

Can you post the results from the checker to see what speeds are expected and the stats from the hub.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

Hi

Not sure how I can do that - I tried a screenshot but the file us too bit to insert.

Are there some numbers in particular that are relevant?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 36

If you copy and paste the screenshot in Paint and save it as a jpeg it should be small enough to post.

The important information are the VDSL figures at the top of the screen.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 36

p2018b_0-1669068665566.png

Thanks again.

Hopefully, this will work (I'm on a Mac, so don't appear to have Paint).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

Your mil is probably getting as fast as the line will support,  the maximum is only predicted at 25M. She is currently getting about 18M as can be seen from the screenshot.

Not wishing to be rude, but that speed is more than ample for the usage I suspect she puts it to.

If you can post a screenshot of her hub stats we can see if there is any scope for improvement.

Is the line noisy if you try the quiet line test 17070 option2?

Message 7 of 36

Hi

Thanks for the reply - I’ll have a look at the line in a couple of days to check for noise.

Its not so much but the family and grandkids who seem to have issues with the speed 😊

There other issue, I guess, is that Fibre 1 is meant to provide a 50-60 Mbps connection. I know there are no guarantees and a number of issues that impact on actual speed, but it seems that she is paying for a service that, at best, will be able to reach only 60% ish of its potential (unless I’ve misread/misunderstood something along the way - it wouldn’t be the first time).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 36

Ooops - meant to say 40% or there snouts.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 36

...there abouts- autocorrect strikes again.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

your connection speed depends on how near you are to your street cabinet  closer the faster you will get no different to previous adsl only it was nearness to exchange that counted.  there is nothing you can to to get 50mb as your line can't handle that

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.