cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 36

Re: Slow Fibre 1 Issue

You can't defy the laws of physics. Fibre1 can only deliver what it can. It can even be as low as 1Mbps if a long way from the cabinet. VDSL speed drops off very sharply with distance.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 36

Fibre 1 is capped at 55Mb & as already said, only achievable close to the cabinet. If the property is too far away to achieve this then maybe look at downgrading to Fibre Essential, which is capped at 36Mb. But she still won't get 36Mb, that's just the maximum.

When you're there next also try connecting the router directly to the test socket.

As for only getting 7Mb on ethernet, something's not right there.

Message 13 of 36

Thanks for the various replies.

I haven't been able to find the cabinet, so can't say how far away the house is from it. I can confirm that the run from the pole on the road to the pole beside the house, where the drop is, is approximately 350 ft, and that this house appears to be the only connection on that run.

Is there a way to locate the cabinet other than walking around looking for it?

I will advise my m-i-l re downgrading her account if there is no chance of achieving anything like the potential speed she has been paying for.

Separately, I need to look at why, when connected by ethernet to the router, I'm only getting 7 Mbps - also have not yet connected the router directly to the test socket rather than the master socket faceplate. 

I'll report back once I know more.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 36

The DSL Checker that you posted results from earlier will give the cabinet number alongside the telephone number.

You may then be able to get an idea of location from the Magenta web site. See guide here.

Message 15 of 36

which exchange and cab are you on? it would have been shown on the dslchecker results but unfortunately you have deleted that in your post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 36

It's Cab 11 on the West Malling exchange.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 36

Hi

Thanks for that - it's an interesting site. 🙂

This is what I get for the cab and the postcode.

2,845m  ADSL  ADSL2+  FTTC Available from 1st December 2011  100% area NGA, 18% area up to 1GBP11 100% area

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 36

looks like 2845m from cab

original.png

that shows drop off in speed over distance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 19 of 36

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 13.40.23.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 36

The cab looks to be around the golf club, or at least that's the centre of the postcode.

@imjolly 

I believe that's distance is to the exchange not the cab.

0 Ratings