cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Slow speeds and constant buffering but BT claims it is okay?

Okay, so here is my issue. In February this year there was a big storm and it knocked out my phone and internet. A few days later an engineer visited and "fixed" the issue. However, I was told that it was still in "safe mode" until they resolve other issues on the network and was told to wait around 4 weeks. I waited 4 weeks but the internet is still the same. Every time I open a request, I'm told my connection is great. But it isn't. I went from around 60 to 75Mb and it dropped to around 20 to 60 Mbit. Now, I'm assuming that because this is still within their lower limit it shows as fine, but there is more to this that just throughput. I have several dedicated server that I monitor using Putty and repeatedly I'm losing connection to putty for a brief second. Also, my pings have at least doubled and packet loss is a real issue. I haven't even been able to watch 4k streams since then and if more than one person uses the network to stream anything more than 1080 - it just buffers all the time. I have several servers in the UK and worldwide and when I lose connection to putty, it will disconnect them all, so it isn't the server. I have replaced ALL wiring in the house for the broadband line from the wall and replaced all ethernet cables from the router to the computers (using physical cables just to rule out WiFi issues. 

I don't know what to do now and talking to BT is like talking to a brick wall. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Slow speeds and constant buffering but BT claims it is okay?

Broadband Checker ResultsBroadband Checker ResultsHub Info Part#1Hub Info Part#1Hub Info Part#2Hub Info Part#2Additional information after reading the forums.

Just a note, I know it isn't slow but it isn't what I have had for the last five ish years. Since I have had the broadband service with BT it has NEVER been this unreliable and slow. This has only been an issue since the storm and because of Covid, I have kept quiet, but it isn't just 20% slower, latency isn't what it was either and I want it sorting.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8

@BoNfiRe 

This is a public forum, you may want to edit your 2nd post and delete your telephone number

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for that, will edit the screenshots.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

A noisy line will cause poor throughput and disconnections.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Oops, I forgot to add that info. Sometimes there is a ticking noise, but not all the time, so not sure if that is the phone, or the line.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@BoNfiRe wrote:
Oops, I forgot to add that info. Sometimes there is a ticking noise, but not all the time, so not sure if that is the phone, or the line.

Are you near a farm which may have an electric fence?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

AFAIK, no. The only agriculture area is around half a mile away and it is nowhere near the box or me. Also, I'm only about 100 meters (as the crow flies 150 meters using the footpaths) away from the cabinet. Again, this has ONLY been an issue since the storm and was 100% brilliant prior to it, hence being a BT customer for well over a decade now.
When the engineer visited to fix the line he said it was slower than it should be because the services are out in many different areas and was also told that it would take a while to fix, but should be no longer than 4 weeks. I contacted BT then and all they do is a speed test and say it is fine as I'm over the minimum threshold. I then continue to tell them that it is noticeably slower, and around 20% slower is a lot. But I'm just told your line is fine!? This has been ongoing since March now, and I have been considerate and not being a bother due to everything that is going on and simply thought the network was just busier. I just want back what I have been paying for for the last few years.
I'll be glad when my contract is over... Sky here I come, more money per month but constantly has over 70Mbit and sub 10ms to my servers, even during peak times.

Just to summarise what I had to what I have.
Steam dl speed has gone from 7 to 9MB/s to 2 to 6MB/s
My server ping times have gone from around 10** ms average to 30 and a lot of the time over that. Oh, and I kick everyone off the network prior to doing my tests and disabled WiFi for testing purposes. I have also tried a complete fresh OS install, you know, just in case, lol!
same servers, same network. I can ping from my neighbours connection and get exactly what I use to get.

** my servers are located London, Southampton and Minehead all with the same results. I'm a gamer, I love CS and many other competitive shooters. I have literally been able to play ANY games due to lag for the last five months.
0 Ratings