cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Smart HUB 2 Any Alternatives with PSTN

Hi all -

When I last came here I was looking for router alternatives for my parents fibre broadband. I didnt like the Smart HUB 2 as you couldnt split the wifi bands which Im still not a fan of.....plus if I remember right there were no simple router alternatives at the time where the PSTN land line plugs into the router directly as it currently does

They are old school and still like the landline

Are there solution to this now that would open up the router market more widely or are we still stuck with the Smart Hub 2

I see there is a digital voice adapter but only just found that - no idea what it does yet!

Thanks for any tips

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart HUB 2 Any Alternatives with PSTN

There are no alternatives, you still  need to use the SH2 with the adapter.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

PSTN is being retired so everyone will end up on digital telephony. Your parents unfortunately have to accept that, there is no alternative.

That said no-one has to accept B T's digital voice which necessitates the use of the BT Hub. Port the number to any other VOIP provider and use any router you wish.

Message 4 of 10

Thanks was just looking at Andrews & Arnolds for that precisely
Will have a think to see what hardware we may need
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

So if I were to port number to a new supplier away from BT would that automatically disconnect the broadband account with BT too?

Reason Im asking is that its getting harder to find suppliers now that will number port so doing your own VOIP maybe the way forward for them until they are happy to go mobile only..... however not sure if I should just port the number and that may disconnect the broadband or find a new broadband only supplier first and then port the number - probably the latter but thought it worth asking
Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

if you port the phone number to VOIP supplier that will terminate your broadband contract and may result in charges if still in fixed term contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 10

@kiteboygriff 

"Thanks was just looking at Andrews & Arnolds for that precisely
Will have a think to see what hardware we may need "

This are a few threads about his over on the Plusnet forums that may be of interest to you:

https://community.plus.net

Plusnet is not supplying their customers with an equivalent of BT's Digital Voice, so it is up to individuals to make their own arrangements.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Yeh that is interesting - my go to at the end of contract would have probably been plusnet! 

But I couldnt see any land line option!! This probaly explains why!

It sounds just like its easier to sort your own voip out and have your broadband totally seperate

Makes things really difficult for older folks or even non techy people

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Why do you think 'older folks' have difficulty with technology?

Message 10 of 10

Precisely. I'm an older person here at 86 in a few days time. I know I have asked a lot of questions here on this forum but I understand the problems and solutions that DV is throwing at us. I suppose it helps that I have been involved in science all my working life and time before that. 

I also thanks all those here who offer their time answering questions and answer those that seem to be asked over and over again one being getting old equipment returned!