cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Smarthub 2 reboots every night and restricted download profile after digital phoneline upgrade

I'm on a FTTC line with a previously 6dB/3dB profile and 77Mb/17Mb connection speed.

BT forced a digital phoneline upgrade on the 25th January 2022 which happened with a few days warning and not much else. The Hub firmware was updated on the 10th February 2022. However, ever since the phone line change the connection profile has been stuck on a 6db/5db profile and the Smart hub 2 reboots every night for the last 3 weeks.

I originally spoke with BT customer services and they informed me my connection should return to full speed within 24hours but may take 3 days (from the 25th January). That has not happened.

The phone works fine plugged into the back of the smarthub2 but I've lost a big chunk of my download speed as it hasn't returned to a 3dB profile on the down side and is stuck on 5dB with this constant daily rebooting.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed. It looks like my line is throttled again and pretty much changing the phone line from PTSN to IP has done it. I wouldn't like to think this is going to be a universal result of the UK going fully digital within the next 3 years. Everyone losing a big chunk of download speed that is.

Smart Hub 2 Manager

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product code:  Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+204500221

Firmware version:v0.31.00.10253-BT

Firmware updated:Thu Feb 10 18:46:33 2022

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.74 12_11_2020

DSL uptime:0 days,04 Hours55 Mins20 Secs

Data rate:16.995 Mbps / 64.162 Mbps

Maximum data rate:16.984 Mbps / 66.168 Mbps

Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:Off

Noise margin:5.8 / 5.1

Line attenuation:9.5 / 19.0

Signal attenuation:9.5 / 22.2

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:24.1 MB Uploaded  / 79.7 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-TQASQF

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-TQASQF

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:E4:75:DC:F4:02:E1

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Smarthub 2 reboots every night and restricted download profile after digital phoneline upgrade

@sjessel 

Moving to BT Digital Voice would have removed the 50 volt feed from the exchange. This may have resulted in your line performance changing, especially if there was a latent high resistance fault on the external network which was being "healed" by the voltage on the line.

If you had issues before with disconnections and speed changes on you line, then this is likely to re-occur, and may need Openreach to look at every connection on your line to see if there is a bad joint. You are unlikely to be the first person with this issue, and its a side effect of removing the voltage from the line.

It may eventually settle down, but is likely to re-occur if there is a fault on the line.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Smarthub 2 reboots every night and restricted download profile after digital phoneline upgrade

as you have had 2 changes to hub in last few weeks I would try a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30 secs until hub light flash then see if that helps stability  remember to go to hub manager and turn off smart setup

your connection looks like the DLM has increased your noise margin after the changes so you need to just leave connection and see if the line settles after reset.  if connection continues to drop daily then you need to get openreach visit

BT do not throttle connections

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.