cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Speed dropped by a quarter over the last month.

So, I have had the BT Fibre 900 service for about 11 months now, its been great, on speed test on fast.com was hitting around 950mb to 1gbps consistently. Over the last month or so however it has been struggling, has been sitting around 700mb and no faster. I have not changed any settings on my pc or router. I have also noticed on fast.com that after every router restart and ONT restart, my client location has changed, is this normal? I swear for the last 11 months it has always been on the same location, and now it is moving around. Unsure if there is a routing problem somewhere along the line, but something has definitely changed on BT/Openreach's end. Any help would be great, thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Speed dropped by a quarter over the last month.

I also understand that there is a "Stay Fast Guarantee of 700 Mbps". But it's more the fact it was working so perfectly before and has now dropped by a quarter of what it was previously doing for reasons totally unknown to me.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

More users connected to the same optical path.

I am assuming you are using a wired connection and not wireless?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Wired yes, always. I have changed nothing over the past 11 months. Perviously on fast.com my client was always connected to Chaddesden, GB. But now it shifts around locations and my IP address has changed slightly as well.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

I have been helped in the past by you guys here, when my upload speed was not as it was supposed to be, you you guys got it all fixed. Was hoping for same helps again with this issue!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

You are sharing your optical connection with up to 32 other customers, all on the same 2.5Gb path, so speed is going to vary depending on how many other customers are active at a specific time. Its called statistical multiplexing, and assumes that all users are not downloading 100% of the time.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Last time NeilO helped me out by chasing up the faults team, and issue was resolved quickly, this was back in April 2022 when I had upload speed issues.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

I realise the connection is being shared with other customers as well, its more that my connection path has changed for some unknown reason as well as my IP address. And it was perfect as it was before it started shifting around.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

You are getting the stay fast guaranteed speed, so there is no fault. Its just that there are more users now, probably downloading lots of big files, doing video calls, or streaming content.

As long as you can do what you want online, the speed does not matter.

IP address is dynamic, and can change anytime.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

So there is no fault at all that my client location and IP address change frequently? Where as before it was fixed location?

0 Ratings