cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 1

Strange Upload Speed Behaviour

Bit of a tumultuous few days. Contractors finally replaced our telephone pole on Friday after a years complaining to OR about the fact that we were the only pole in town abandoned without FTTP. The fibre is still stashed in the pavement pit at the moment however and have to keep fingers crossed that they come back again to finish the job (it was Friday after all....)

As part of moving the copper cables to the new pole we got a new dropwire as the old one was too short to the new pole. Either as a result of this or the new copper cable to the pole my line performance has shot up by 6-7Mbps and maximum data rate for the first time ever is well over 80/20 according to my Hub 2. (85.5 megs down and 20.5 megs up). I got full synch (79.999 down, 19.996 up) and it was rock solid stable - unlike previously when I was getting re-sychs sometimes 5-6 times a day whenever the attainable line speed dropped below connection speed; attainable download speed was varying by 5-6 Mbps over the course of a day, especially on hot days whenever the sun came out!

So the new pole cabling has cleared my HRdis fault - something that over 10 years of call outs and complaints never achieved 😀

However this evening my connection did drop out & resych. Checked my router stats and the Upload speed had dropped to match max attainable at 14.1 Mbps. Noise margin dead on 10dB.

Stayed that way for about an hour and a half then stepped back up to 18.4 Mbps. Still 10dB margin.

Now the maximum attainable speed has gone back to what it was originally (20.4 Mbps) with 6dB margin.

What was all that about? Is it DLM sorting itself out, and why did it only affect Upstream?

Finally my new drop wire is deflected around a tree branch, when if it had been threaded a bit more carefully through the tree it would be hanging loose - is this something that should be reported?

0 Ratings