cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 6 of 13

Swapping from FTTP to FTTC during installation.

Signed up for fibre to my house, but the duct is blocked and I've heard nothing for over 2 weeks. 

I work from home so I need an internet connection, I simply can't wait any longer. I don't see any options to choose broadband on the website, is it still possible to get broadband from bt if they offer fibre?

(I have their 4G dongle, it very slow, I also have my own 4G router but at peak times the connection becomes unusable.)

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13

Blocked duct - Do I need to do anything?

Openreach engineer was here last week setting up my fibre, was unable to run the fibre through the duct as it's blocked. 

Said another team would be out to unblock it and connect the fibre. I've not heard anything from BT or Openreach about this. The duct is probably crushed from the lorries that a neighbour has been sending up the shared drive, if they dig up the driveway, they would be blocking access to 3 properties. So I'm a bit nervous about them turning up unannounced.

Do I need to do anything? How long should it take? I work from home so I need an internet connection, wondering if I should just go with broadband for now.  

0 Ratings
Message 2 of 13

Re: Blocked duct - Do I need to do anything?

if engineer was only there last week probably bit soon for BT to get in touch about another visit to fix the broken/blocked duct.  may be difficult if in shared drive with others and in constant use

not sure what you mean by

' I work from home so I need an internet connection, wondering if I should just go with broadband for now. '

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

You don't need to do anything. The engineer will have reported the blocked duct and it will have been passed on to the civils team.

If the civils team can get a rod through then no dig necessary. If they can't then a dig may be required but would be limited to the extent of the blockage.

How long would it take? It really depends on the length of the blockage, the length of the drive etc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Thanks. 

This is for FTTP, there's already a phone line for broadband so they wouldn't need to run the fibre if I settled on that. But I understand they're trying to phase it out. 

They're sending me a 4G router in the meantime.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Thanks. Hopefully no digging needed. 

As for how long, I'm asking how long should expect to be without it. I read some people have waited months. 

Not an issue now as BT are sending a 4G router. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Re: Swapping from FTTP to FTTC during installation.

Hi @Joeyc and thanks for posting.

Sorry there's been a delay getting the FTTP connected. Can you check what's available at BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) and post the results?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

The duct is still blocked. OpenReach lied to BT and said the duct was cleared, no one had been here and it's very much blocked. BT confirmed that the work hadn't really been carried out. BT are chasing but literally cannot say if it would be weeks or months. Been 3 weeks already.

What if I were to do the work myself? I have access to inspection cameras, I could see if it's debris or collapsed. I can find someone to pull up the paving and do the work. 

I can't wait for OpenReach anymore as it's literally putting my job at risk now.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Re: Swapping from FTTP to FTTC during installation.

I have a complaint with BT and they're chasing with OpenReach, as for some reason the work was marked as completed when it hadn't, so I've had to wait 3 weeks for nothing. There's problems with the 4G in the area and so now working from home is challenging. My job is literally on the line if they can't sort something. 

Untitled.png

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

This is the second time you've said your job is at risk, have you just moved in or something & have no services just now via the copper line? As unfortunate as it is can you not attend an office in the meantime as the residential service won't cover losses for work purposes either