cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

The New BT Modem for Digital Voice

Go to solution

A BT engineer turned up a few days ago and installed the Digital Voice gear,  The new Modem was fixed to the wall, and was mounted on a bracket of some description.

Sadly, I did not see how this was carried out. I have a simple question; in order to carry out painting and decorating, how can this modem be removed from its mounting bracket?

For those who have not yet seen one of these magic boxes, it is about 80,00mm square, 25,00mm deep, and is white in colour. It has three connections; one (via a three pin plug) to the mains supply, one to the newly installed fibre cable and another to the new router via an ethernet lead.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: The New BT Modem for Digital Voice

Go to solution

@mrveryangry 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

It may be best to edit your post to remove the serial number of the Optical Modem, as that is personal info unique to your installation.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

ONT’s aren’t installed on a mounting bracket.

They’re either installed using two small wood screws that protrude out of the wall a few millimetres and the ONT sits in them or the ONT goes inside an ONT Case but they’re usually only fitted on Greenfield Sites.

All you should need to do is gently wiggle the ONT upwards to take it off the screws.

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I assume that ONT is the  gizmo I am talking about? The engineer chappie referred to it as a modem ? 

I'll try giving it a wiggle.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

OK. I have done that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I wiggled and wiggled, until eventually the device was removed from its fixings.  The problem in removing it seems to have been caused by the engineer having used screws of two different types. One screw had a small round head, and the other a much larger countersunk head. The  csk screw was also screwed in much further than the other one.  I imagine that the engineer ran out of  screws of the correct type, or, (and more likely), he drilled the two holes at the wrong pitch, and had to compensate by using two different screw types. I will rectify the situation in the near future. Thank you for your advice.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Yeah, you’ll find that’s quite common, using two different screws.

If you don’t line up the holes exactly right it won’t fit and you find you need to use a slightly smaller screw on one side.

I must’ve done that about a dozen times before it occurred to me to just use two smaller screws. 😳

Live and Learn.

0 Ratings