cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Trenching across a lawn

Go to solution

Given that the position of the pavement outlet for FTTP is by no means optimal  (if only I'd known it was imminent), I'm guessing OpenReach will want to make the shortest trench to my house wall then surface run a fibre to the ingress point.

Can anyone please advise if the fibre used can be buried directly, or is a pipe needed? Whichever, how wide/deep is needed for the trench? I'll try to dig it myself if not too deep... Presumably the cable could be pulled through a flexible pipe (about 9 metres long) and then buried.

What will OpenReach provide?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Trenching across a lawn

Go to solution

I used plastic overflow pipe -21.5 mm diameter. 
Buried it about 200mm deep  

You’ll  need to join sections to broach your distance . Either solvent weld the joints or tape them up securely  

Thread some stout rope through and jobs done . You can thread the rope through section by section  

The cable is sheathed and well protected and can be sunk into the earth bare I think  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

OpenReach turned up on spec - fortunately I was in. They used a spade to cut a shallow slot in my lawn, but my hand-trenching tool (ex-army) made enlarging the slot easier. The fibre used is the same as for running from a pole, so, strong for tension, but it needs protection underground: they use a (coiled up) pipe just sufficient diameter for two fibres such that it can make gentle turns.  It rises tidily out of the way where I want it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

A good result. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings