cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Underground Fibre Broadband Cable

Go to solution

Had three guys from Open Reach install an underground Fibre cable across 80 metres of my garden. The cable runs through ducting of about 20mm in diameter, the conduit is made up of a semi flexible metal inner coated with a plastic outer.

The fibre cable within the ducting is very near the surface, at most 100mm below the surface and in most places less than 50mm!  I expressed my concern to the Open Reach guys and they said it was normal to lay cable at this depth!

I will take every care not to damage the cable but I am know restricted in what I can do with my garden, for example I can not use a mechanical edger on the lawn or use a lawn aerator as the spikes would go through the ducting/cable. 

Has anyone here had a similar experience and who would be responsible for repairing the fiber cable when it gets damaged or cut

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Underground Fibre Broadband Cable

Go to solution

100mm seems rather shallow, https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/utility-depths.htm would suggest 450mm which to me seems overly deep.

As far as damage is concerned, I'm afraid if you damage the cable you are responsible for paying Openreach to repair it. However, if Openreach haven't buried it sufficiently deep, the point is moot.

I'm sure @Starwire will be along at some point with chapter and verse.

Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
Many thanks for your prompt reply, I will take this up with BT as they are scheduled to have Openreach do the final connection within the house next week.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

While waiting for @Starwire  don't forget fibre has a kevlar layer of protection that should make it pretty robust.

https://www.cablexpress.com/education/blog/what-are-fiber-optic-cables-made-of/ 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Many thanks for the link.

Have obtained a copy of Openreach Duct Laying Guide for developers.

Cable TV and Communications minimum of 250mm

"Ducting to the building
Duct to the premises/building must be laid at a
minimum depth of 250mm and be as straight
as possible"

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

You can complain about the quality of work HERE.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

That’s that new tube Ducting stuff. Don’t have much experience with that stuff.

Also sounds like you’ve had what Openreach call a, ‘Soft Dig’.

What you’re looking at is Openreaches Developers Guide to building a Network on a Greenfield Site. You live on a Brownfield Site so doesn’t really fall under the same recommendations. 

At least it’s buried better than VM’s duct, which they usually just lay on the surface and they advise you sedimentation will naturally bury it over the course of a few thousand years.   

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Many thanks for link, by pure chance I had actually done that. Now waiting for Openreach to contact me.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution
Many thanks for your reply. I am now waiting for Openreach to contact me
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Just to let you know Openreach agree the cable is not at the correct depth of between 250 and 300mm. However we have reached a compromise whereby Openreach has, in writing, agreed to repair cable free of charge.

Thanks everyone for your input

Andy

0 Ratings