cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Unimagineably slow FTTP upload speed?

Go to solution

Had this issue with PlusNet and now same here. Been weeks now, support haven't managed to help. Qube engineer blamed openreach, openreach engineer comes by and says it's a profiling thing because line tests fine. But both engineers got same results as me on their laptops and were lost for words.

The result posted is direct to ONT with only my laptop connected.  Windows laptop, modern, no issues.
Happens on all devices.

Some speed tests such as fast.com occasionally get it to 20mbps upload, but it never shows. Can't even back-up my phone on iCloud anymore because it's not fast or stable enough. Latency, DL speed and stability have always been great.

I'm on second highest package of 450 min download, and avg 75 upload. Can only dream of getting what I got on copper (18-20).

I've already gone through all the basic troubleshooting steps multiple times, including:

• Unplugging and reconnecting the hub
  • Wi-fi 6 on/off
  • Trying different Cat 5E and Cat 6 cables
  • Resetting the ONT and hub
  • Directly connecting devices to the ONT and the hub
  • Testing with various devices, including laptops and phones
  • Factory resetting the equipment
  • Tried VPN, nothing changes.

😞BTW-TEST-compressed.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unimagineably slow FTTP upload speed?

Go to solution

The fact that the issue is there for both ISP's would perhaps suggest its an Openreach thing but as far as I know Plusnet use BT Wholesale the same way BT Retail do, so really nothing has changed. Like if you went to Sky for example you could expect to be on some different infra.

You have ruled out internal issues by connecting directly to the ONT, that download is a bit shy also but probably not an 'issue'.

Do you have a ticket open with BT for it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do have an open ticket with BT, but it's been an exercise in frustration. They keep closing the complaints and marking them as 'resolved' without actually fixing anything. They book an engineer who never turns up, then claim the issue is resolved through some form of telepathy. Engineer was booked for tomorrow, same exact thing.

There are no issues with download speeds, stability, or latency. Gaming is great, but uploading anything or even loading into multiplayer queues takes forever, which never happened on copper.

EE/BT now seem to pretend there's no issue at all. I’ve logged everything and am supposedly getting a call from a manager today, but given their track record, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just marked as resolved again without action. If this continues, I’ll be escalating the matter to OFCOM. Even if they believe this is acceptable, I think an OFCOM investigation is warranted to get to the bottom of this issue instead of this endless game of pass the parcel where my broken internet is the parcel.

Thanks again for your input. Any further advice or insights are much appreciated
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hopefully one of the mods on here or a really experienced member will be able to help further. 

Do you have a proper complain open, IE are you talking to the Customer Resolutions team, I'm not advocating a complaint is required for everything but if you are following the normal lines of support and getting nowhere then escalating might be the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Icines 

Did the Openreach engineers swap the ONT out? Sounds to me like a poor output from it.

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
SOLVED. 1 month later.. with all hope lost:

Hey everyone,

If you’ve been following my month-long odyssey with FTTP upload speeds, here’s the latest twist in this saga.

The Daily Grind:
Every single day involved me doing the same basic troubleshooting steps, as instructed by different advisors. Despite repeatedly explaining that I had done all these steps before, the routine continued. Each time I was told there was no issue, until suddenly, an advisor would acknowledge there was a problem. This flip-flopping was maddening.

The Shenanigans:

7 Engineers Later...
Yes, seven engineers came and went, each more baffled than the last. Openreach swore it wasn’t their fault, and Qube engineers just confirmed the issue without fixing anything.

Complaints Galore:
I called EE/BT so many times, I lost count. Every day, a new advisor insisted on raising a "complaint," only to have it mysteriously marked resolved without any actual resolution. Promised callbacks never happened, and each day brought new, unfulfilled promises.

Executive Complaints Department:
Finally, one savvy advisor passed me to the executive complaints department Monday. Thought nothing of it. Initially, it didn’t seem promising. Though I never wanted compensation, somebody also gave me next bill off which was certainly appreciated.

The Turning Point:
So, Wednesday comes. I decided to send an email to the CEO and guessed the emails of 7 directors of BT to BCC. Figured why not shake things up a bit before going straight to OFCOM. Apparently, my email caused quite a stir behind the scenes. Got a call first thing Thursday morning (15h later) by my exec guide saying it’s being taken seriously, asking if I emailed the CEO. Eh, whatever. Heard it all before.

The Plot Twist:
22h later, problem is all of a sudden entirely solved. Turns out, it wasn’t just my line; it was an area-wide issue. They had an engineer visit someone else’s house that day and found the same problem. This was after a 3-hour in-depth look at my line by Openreach on Monday, where the engineer tested at all points and was absolutely convinced it wasn’t the line. Suddenly, my internet was unstable, and then, just like that, it was fixed. There was at least one other complaint.

The Result:
Now, I’m rocking a solid 700-800 Mbps download and 80-110 Mbps upload. No drops, no nonsense.

Hope this helps anyone else stuck in the same boat. EE/BT can be frustrating, but if you push hard enough, you might just get what you paid for.
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Icines ,

We were looking at this in the background and my colleague got an engineer out to the exchange on Thursday. Engineer found dirt on the transmit fibre from the Openreach kit, towards BT's network. This was cleaned and service improved for all ~200 customers.

Thanks very much for pushing this, we're feeding the learnings back into the teams involved. In this instance, Openreach would not have been able to see the errors, or fix the issue; it was down to BT Wholesale/Networks to monitor and fix.

Steve