cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Upgrade to Full Fibre

Hi, I have recently opted to upgrade from Halo to Full Fibre.

I am still waiting after a month, for the engineer visit. I'm getting a bit fed-up waiting.

I need to ask a question and wondered if anyone on here could help.

When we first had BT broadband the engineer installed a cable from the access point at the front of our property, along the outside wall and through into the front room where the router is situated. This cable has been damaged and repaired a couple of times and still work fine with the system as it is. My question is whether it will still work after the upgrade to Full Fibre (also as an aside... what about the cable from the street to the property... this is old too)

Any help would be appreciated

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Upgrade to Full Fibre

Full fibre requires a fibre optic cable, your existing copper cable will not be used.

Message 3 of 7

I sort of realised that, which is why I asked the question. How will BT get a fibre optic cable from the street to the required access point?
Will there be excavation involved?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

They will use the existing duct the copper cable uses.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Ok thanks. That will get it to the front porch, but as I said we have an extension cable running about 15m round the side of the house, enter where the router is located. Will they be able to replicate this?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

"I have recently opted to upgrade from Halo to Full Fibre."

FYI Full Fibre and Halo are different things. You don't upgrade from one to another as such. Indeed, you can still be a Halo customer with Full Fibre. Halo is the name BT uses for extra benefits in your package. there are different levels of Halo - Halo2, Halo3, Halo3+ - all of which are available for both FTTC and FTTP customers.

"I am still waiting after a month, for the engineer visit. I'm getting a bit fed-up waiting."

Have you been given a committed date? When you place the order BT usually give you a provisional date. The order then passes to OR who have to decide when they can do it. Only then does it become a committed date. If you have not been given a committed date speak to BT who in turn will speak to OR. Sometimes orders just get overlooked so be a squeaky wheel and get some oil.

"When we first had BT broadband the engineer installed a cable from the access point at the front of our property, along the outside wall and through into the front room where the router is situated. This cable has been damaged and repaired a couple of times and still work fine with the system as it is. My question is whether it will still work after the upgrade to Full Fibre."

The cable the engineer installed will not work with FF. OR will usually install a Optical network Terminal (ONT) on the inside of an exterior wall. The engineer who comes to do the installation will talk to you about where he can install the ONT. It is not guaranteed to be in the same position or room as your router is currently situated.

0 Ratings