cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

1MB in South East London

I live in South East London (LSBEC) exchange.

BT can only offer me 1MB, its so bad i have had a leased line installed but the costs are way too much to keep going.

In this day and age why is it so poor? I've already proved running FTTP is possible via the leased line. 

The whole area is the same with BT, anyway i can get someone with clout to put my exchange or area on the rollout map for domestic FTTP?

tomcoleman_0-1667384390421.png

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: 1MB in South East London

anyone from BT?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

your post does not go to BT as this is just a customer to customer forum.  anyway it is openreach who install fibre so try contacting openreach and see if they will give an estimated date for your area

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/questions-about-fibre-availability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

No one from BT has any clout over OR's rollout of Full Fibre.

Although BT Consumer (the communication provider) and OR are both owed by the BT Group they are separate companies. And as OR provide their network to many communication providers (Sky, TalkTalk, Shell etcetera) they have to treat BT just the same as any of their customers.

OR are rolling out FTTP across the country but they can't do everywhere at once. I presume they prioritize areas based on many factors. One crucial factor must surely be... are their other networks already in the area? If OR put FTTP in a street that isn't serviced by any other fibre networks (Virgin, City Fibre etcetera) then OR, and the communication providers they service, are the only Fibre option in town. But if another company has already laid fibre cables in a street the returns for OR will be less, they will be competing with companies who already have a foothold in the area. So they would be less likely to spend money laying fibre in that street.

Other considerations would include resources. I believe OR have a manpower shortage in the SE of England. 

Also getting local authority permission to dig up roads would be needed. And that is not always easy to get. Where exactly in SE London are you?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

you can google the exchange i posted to see where i'am.

Not sure what this forum is designed for if its nothing really todo with BT or openreach.

£30/m for 1mb is a ripp off, the leased line cost is insane also.

I dont think it can be local dig up permits as the leased line was installed in like 30 days and thats a fibre optic so must be something todo with the area or something for normal home installs.

UK strikes again i guess in terrible roll out 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Not sure what this forum is designed for if its nothing really to do with BT or Openreach.

@tomcoleman  Please see https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Welcome-to-the-BT-Community-Forum/td-p/15...

Nothing to do with Openreach, who are a separate company.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Openreach Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Group

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

If you had a problem with Screwfix would you post on the B&Q forum?  They are both owned by the same parent company.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Openreach Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Group

But nothing to do with this BT Retail Customer forum. Other providers that use Openreach, have their own user forums, which is why people who post here, are often referred to their own ISP forum, if they are not BT Retail Customers.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

they should really take off their BT jackets then when its raining. - confusing.

Any how back on topic - seems like nothing i can do.

0 Ratings