cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Upgraded to BT Full Fibre but new socket is in wrong location

As the title says, we've just upgraded from our old fibre package (50 Mbps) to the full fibre one (80 Mbps). My original router is upstairs in my attic room along with the old master socket of course. However, I didn't realise the upgrade would involve installing a new socket (NTE?) which is in the downstairs office. I kept out of the way and assumed all the drilling was for the outside. Unfortunately this means my PC and Sky HD box are without internet unless I connect them wirelessly (which will require a WiFi adapter for the Sky box) or using something like bridge mode for the router which isn't ideal.

Is there any way to arrange an engineer to come  and relocate the NTE to the old master socket in the attic? Alternatively can an independent engineer do this instead?

I feel stupid for not realising this would happen but there we are.

Thanks,

Emyr.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Upgraded to BT Full Fibre but new socket is in wrong location

It is not a master socket, it is a fibre modem ONT and can only be relocated by Openreach, at cost and if it is in fact possible.

The simplest solution is to connect the hub in its old position upstairs and ONT together via powerline adapters if you don't wish to run an Ethernet cable between them

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

@Mach2Infinitywrote:

As the title says, we've just upgraded from our old fibre package (50 Mbps) to the full fibre one (80 Mbps).

Is it me for your above suggests you went from one FTTC to the fastest FTTC. 

Full fibre suggests FTTP which is much faster than 80 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

@Carlusha wrote:

Full fibre suggests FTTP which is much faster than 80 Mbps.

Not necessarily, FTTP can be any speed required.

Message 5 of 17

you can go up to 35 meters with a cat 6 cable do it that way to move the hub and without lossing speed you do not need to use the cable what bt gives out thats cat 5e and its short wire you can buy a 15 meter cat 6 for under a £10 as well FTTP is direct to your house the FTTC is to the box on the street and copper wire from there 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Cat 5e cable is more than sufficient and can be used up to 100 metres, as can Cat6 cable. No idea why you think it will only work for 35 metres.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Thanks guys for the replies. Just to add the attic socket is above the office. I know they use different cabling but if we were to have the ONT relocated upstairs then it should be fine?

But to discuss options:

1) contact BT to arrange Openreach to relocate ONT at cost providing distance is fine

2) connect routers via bridge mode

3) use Powerline sockets and hope it works

4) get an independent engineer to install an ethernet socket upstairs

I guess 3's the easiest with no setup. Although I understand there's no guarantee it'll work as it depends on the wiring and being upstairs could be an issue. What would you do or suggest?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@Mach2Infinity wrote:

Thanks guys for the replies. Just to add the attic socket is above the office. I know they use different cabling but if we were to have the ONT relocated upstairs then it should be fine?

But to discuss options:

1) contact BT to arrange Openreach to relocate ONT at cost providing distance is fine

Its not just distance, it is feasability

2) connect routers via bridge mode

I'm not sure what you mean there, you only have one router and one modem, bridge mode doesn't come into it.

3) use Powerline sockets and hope it works

No reason why they shouldn't

4) get an independent engineer to install an ethernet socket upstairs

Or do it yourself either fitting an Ethernet socket upstairs and downstairs connected by cable or by just buying a long enough pre-made patch cable.

I guess 3's the easiest with no setup. Although I understand there's no guarantee it'll work as it depends on the wiring and being upstairs could be an issue. What would you do or suggest?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

"I'm not sure what you mean there, you only have one router and one modem, bridge mode doesn't come into it."

No, the engineer had also installed a smart hub router.

Thanks for the replies. Some things to mull over.

P.S. I'm typing in Chrome (Desktop mode) on an Android phone so this might be why but I can't quote posts as the icon's missing. Is there a quote tag you have to use?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

it will cost you to get bt openreach out £150 i think it is its easy to do a socket next to ONT put a small patch cable from that to the socket get outside wire or take it though the floor with cat5e or cat 6 with a socket near were you want the router or socket next to the router patch cable to the socket to a other socket will be a better bet and cheaper to do you just have to match the wire codes on the back of them with a punch down tool on both sides and use tunking to hide the wire £3 from berrys and up to £30 off amazon for the wire i say cat6 is future prof it can handle more traffic then cat5e its cheaper this way then getting openreach out if its not a problem 

0 Ratings