cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

What is an acceptable speed for SH2 and a gigabit line ?

I have a Smart Hub 2 with a 900mg connection to the house but the BT engineers cannot get more than 400 out of the Sh2 despite supplying 2 brand new ones - thats using a cable. Wifi is much less - 300.

Has anyone out there got a speed closer to what we are being promised i.e 900mg ?

Seems like we are being promised speeds that cannot be achieved with the current smart hub.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: What is an acceptable speed for SH2 and a gigabit line ?

@archiveking This clearly shows its not the smarthub at fault, maybe need an engineer to check the light levels, usually they tell you this during the install process. Could also be a build problem, sometimes happens when they build the profile too early before the ONT is connected and in full operation.

For the record, touch wood 🪵  I've not had any speed issues on mine.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

You can test the speed to the ONT by connecting directly to it and setting up a PPPoE connection using the following.

User Name: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT.

Message 4 of 17

Bear in mind FTTP is a heavily contended service, 30 customers share 2.5Gbps backhaul.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Seems to be posting, but never seems to want to find a solution: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Smart-Hub-3-and-Complete-Wifi-2-Release-and-Availability/m... 

Message 6 of 17

@licquorice 

Bear in mind FTTP is a heavily contended service, 30 customers share 2.5Gbps backhaul.

Do you any evidence that this is a real world issue when it comes to speed with FTTP from BT? I know a lot of towns have large coverage now and if this was the case of this issue would we not be flooded on this forum of people complaining of slow speeds?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

I have absolutely no idea if it causes any problems in the real world. I'm just stating facts. If all 30 people are maxing out their connections you won't get 900M each, its simple maths.

In the real world, it is extremely unlikely everybody will be maxing their connections simultaneously in fact I would be extremely surprised if anybody ever used 900M in a domestic setting at all.

People run speed tests and then complain they are not getting the speed they are never likely to get anywhere near needing in any case.

I'll get my flameproof coat.

Message 8 of 17

I am getting 900 MB to the ONT at my house. The BT Engineer and two brand-new units from BT have been unable to improve the speed inside the house. It seems that I am not alone and the smart hub two is simply not good enough to deliver speeds in excess of 500 using a cable or 350 for Wi-Fi. Much longed for SM3 seems a distant hope. I could switch to another branded hub but need my digital phone for essential purposes.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Well judging from the number of youtube videos of people complaining about the SM2 i think it is widespread. No one here has answered by saying they are getting a really fast speed using their SH2
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

It's not a question of "needing" - it's a question of being charged for a 900mb line and only getting half the advertised speed. They aren't interested in their speed guarantee - maybe Ofcom will be?
0 Ratings