cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

What type of install?

IMG-20230425-WA0003.jpg

Hi, just like a lot of people I woke up to diggers creating a trench in the pavement. There are no overhead cables at the moment. Can anyone advise from the attached what kind of install I will have?

Will they need to dig up my drive. The line currently comes underground from the side of the detached house into the living room at ground level. Thank you

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: What type of install?

Whoever they are working for ( or on behalf of ) won’t be BT , it may be for Openreach, but there are many Alt Nets installing networks , not just Openreach.

Assuming it’s Openreach, the trench containing the duct that runs between existing or new jointboxes has spurs that run to the boundary of each property , or the boundary between two semi detached, there a ‘Toby’ box is fitted at the curtilage of each dwelling, no work is done on ‘private’ property.

When an ISP can order services over the newly installed infrastructure, a cable is installed from the CBT in a jointbox thru the newly installed duct , to the toby box , then through the consumer’s garden to the house wall.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

As you cannot get FTTP ATM you won't be having any install.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thank you

Looks like they have installed purple ducting and Toby boxes to each property boundary. So it may require digging the drive to connect to yo the house from thereon? 

City fibre are conducting the works. I understand it'll probably be at least a year before offerring services through their partners. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Superfast 

CityFibre is what is known as an Alternative Network (AltNet) and is very much a separate full fibre network and infrastructure to Openreach.

BT Consumer uses Openreach and not CityFibre

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thank you - I've been looking into alt networks.

I personally would have preferred for open reach to install the infrastructure within the whole of the UK. A Street behind me is having a different alt complete works. 

With a Toby box in the pavement they'll still need to dig my drive if I want the input in the same place where the line currently enters my house?

0 Ratings