cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Wholesale checker

Go to solution
My address hasn’t been available to check for a some weeks now. Phone number isn’t available as I’m on digital voice etc with BT. Currently on GFast getting 150Mbps. But with checking today I noticed it’s now showing again finally. However a new line is now showing below Cabinet 52 “location: Hot site” anyone got a clue what that means? 

thanks in advance 

Address 52, on Exchange HASLINGTON is served by Cabinet 52

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability DateHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean) McGrath1982_0-1655752537948.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) McGrath1982_1-1655752537948.gif
G.fast Range A (Clean) McGrath1982_2-1655752537948.gif
G.fast Range B (Impacted) McGrath1982_3-1655752537948.gif
8071201965.3AvailableAvailable
8068.9201961.9AvailableAvailable
217.616531.513.4142.9Green--
175.7120.72110.2107Green--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33050--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MWBC Fixed Rate
Up to 5.5--3 to 8Available
Up to 5.5Up to 13 to 8Available
2----Available
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL MulticastG.Fast Multicast
Available
Available
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wholesale checker

Go to solution

@McGrath1982 

A "Hot Site" means its adjacent to an electricity substation of major electricity grid infrastructure.

In the event of an earth fault on the substation or infrastructure, the earth potential could rise above the voltage on the copper pairs in the cabinet. This would cause an electric shock, possibly fatal, to anyone working on the cabinet.

Special precautions have to be made when Openreach are working on the cabinet, and they have to be "hotsite" trained so they know what the procedure is.

https://greymattersglobal.com/hot-site/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.  Just strange it’s never said that before checking today. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

That's one definition of Hot Site, however, looking at the location of the cabinet on Google Street View, I don't think that it applies in this case. I suspect it is 'Hot' in the sense that it is approaching full capacity. It isn't actually at full capacity or it would show 'Waiting list' under availability. But that's just a guess.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Just some more strange details I’ve noticed. My address 52 that it shows “Hot site” doesn’t show on neighbors addresses along the street when I just checked. Probably means nothing and over thinking it means more than it does. But surly it would say the same for my neighbors as well?. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Are you next door to an electricity substation?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

No so haven’t a clue why it’s now saying that. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

That is odd, perhaps there is a buried HV cable or pylons very close.

Any high voltage network which could develop an earth fault, that is within a certain radius of your property, could make your property a hot site.

Often new estates are built very close to 400KV pylons, which could, in the event of damage, cause a cable to come in contact with the metalwork. This would raise the earth potential considerably, and in the unlikely event of someone working on the copper pairs, would present a shock hazard.

One major advantage of optical fire, is that its non-conductive, so the hot site designation would be removed, assuming the copper infrastructure has been removed.

Telecommunications within substations that still use copper connections, have isolating transformers to eliminate the risk, or they use optical fibre.

Many years ago, I used to work on hot sites, one very close to a BT repeater station in Southampton.

0 Ratings