cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Will BT/Openreach come up with a GPON built in Modem/Router?

Go to solution

I'm about to move from my current house which has FTTP, although the property I'm moving to does not have FTTP so I'll be back on VDSL (which is fine for now). I use a Ubiquiti Dream Machine as my main router and I have a 'backup dumb" VDSL modem to use if needed. Although Im a bit concerned that once FTTP becomes available in my area, Openreach will install my a combo unit with GPON/Router, which would make it a real pain to use my Ubiquiti gear without put it through double NAT. Also should I take the GPON modem unit that I have currently (it wasn't here before) or should I leave it in my old prem? 

Thanks 😉 

ClixRapidix

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Will BT/Openreach come up with a GPON built in Modem/Router?

Go to solution

Openreach aren't in the business of supplying routers so will continue to supply ISP agnostic modems (ONTs) with the ISP supplying the router. ISPs won't be in the business of supplying combined units as the fibre connection is not really customer accessible.

You can't take your current ONT with you as the serial number is locked to your current address.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Openreach today supply a ONT unit that your providers router then connects to (or like BT Consumer allows, use your own router).  Here's some of the current Openreach ONTs: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont

This means you connect the Ubiquiti Dream Machine to the ONT via the Ubiquiti Dream Machine's WAN port.

The issue is with digital voice, today BT Consumer's Digital Voice offering only allows it to work when using the BT Smart Hub 2. Of course you can now go broadband only and drop the voice service if needed or move that to a third party voip supplier

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

I seriously doubt Openreach will ever supply an All in One ONT/Router as they’re not an ISP.

Like VDSL I suppose there’s alway the possibility ISP’s might supply them at a later date.

Ref to your ONT, as said leave it at your current house.

The ONT Serial Number will be matched against the Head End Port you’re Routed on, that means it’ll only work on that Port.

The only use you’ll ever have for it is to use as a Paper Weight.

Also if/when you do get FTTP at your new place chances are it’ll be an Adtran Head End, which will need an Adtran ONT as these are the ones Openreach are now starting to install on both New Sites and Rural Build Projects.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I really hope so! Back in my country telcos used to do that (Vodafone for example), until they started shoving their crappy CPE's and force them to use it. I really like the idea of having just a simple ONU/ONT modem and thats it thats ISP agnostic. 

So basically the serial number is "locked" the a premises, not the MAC address?

Apologies for all the questions.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks what Im doing right now on my current house, but when I move I will have to go back to VDSL, I was just a bit concerned that once FTTP/H becomes available in my (new) area, BT would start to go the Sky route and combine everything into one unit that does everything, so no more "dumb modem" which means I will have to use the BT gear. If that makes sense sorry.

I'm not using VoIP so its fine I really don't care if I lose that. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Yes the ONT is locked to a physical address not a MAC address.

All Openreach provided ISPs use the same infrastructure and ONTs

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Sky don’t use an All in One ONT/Router for FTTP.

They use Openreach ONT’s as they sell FTTP Service via them.

Some Sky Engineers do the full Step 2 Install but they still use the Openreach ONT supplied to them.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Oh yeah I get that as of today, but initially they did that when they started to roll out VDSL using an openreach modem and them plug the Sky equipment to the VDSL modem, eventually they integrated their VDSL modem on their new router. Just hopping they keep things separate so I can have a native connection without having to deal with Double NAT, (plus its one of the benefits of using a PPP based connection) but ... thats for another topic 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

It's a different situation. It is far easier to incorporate a generic VDSL modem and router into a one box solution. Incorporating an ONT is a whole different ballgame. It's not going to happen any time soon if at all.

0 Ratings