cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 47

Re: Will BT/Openreach install FTTP free of charge?

When a CBT is installed it’s size ( 4,8 or 12 port ) is determined by survey and the number of properties it can service, typically it’s the same as the copper network, so if your pole ( copper network ) had 5 properties connected ( or could potentially be connected ) then an 8 port CBT is provided, there is no reason why your address would be overlooked.

I guess this is the concern, that my property has not been included in the survey and a CBT with only say, 4 ports is installed.  I would imagine it would not be an easy or quickly addressed fix to change up a CBT to accommodate more ports?

I should clarify, as per my OP diagram, the pole that has my copper extending overhead isn't getting CBTs installed at it.  Its the slightly further away pole but still up/downstream of it.

I've updated my OP diagram based on all the advice on this thread.....

Fibre in the road diagram.png

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 47

Just noticed, I will remove the logical fibre connection now that I know the cables dont just tee off fibre lines and must come from a CBT/junction box.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 47

Every answer to your OP is pure speculation/conjecture. You don't need a CBT on your pole as a connection can be run from the CBT on the next pole to yourd and then follow your existing copper connection if you are so close to the road.

Until the checker show WBC FTTP available it is pointless having any discussion, when it does appear install will be FOC.

If you haven't had a reply from the Openreach from you were advise to fill in within 14 days fill it in again and submit and keep doing so until you get an answer allowing 14 days each time. They will answer eventually.

Your paranoia will have no bearing on anything. I do not mean any disrespect with that so I hope you don't take any umbrage. It is certainly not intended.

Message 34 of 47

You don't need a CBT on your pole as a connection can be run from the CBT on the next pole to yourd and then follow your existing copper connection if you are so close to the road

Its answers like this that have made this thread very valuable to me, and potentially future onlookers.  I agree some answers are guesswork but others have addressed my concerns/queries quite well.

If you haven't had a reply from the Openreach from you were advise to fill in within 14 days fill it in again and submit and keep doing so until you get an answer allowing 14 days each time. They will answer eventually.

They did reply to me but annoyingly its the generic reply saying OR are committed to providing fibre in your area bla bla.  Not addressing my specific concerns regarding the accommodation of my property in the rollout plan, will the CBT be installed with enough ports for my property etc.  I will be pushing them today for more help.

Your paranoia will have no bearing on anything. I do not mean any disrespect with that so I hope you don't take any umbrage. It is certainly not intended.

I'd use the word concern not paranoia because I've read of so many instances where houses have been left out of the plans and CBT's have not been given enough ports to accommodate all the nearby properties.  The idea of being left with 4mbps internet while my neighbours, who are much further away from the network/CBT can get full fibre, I feel is worth voicing a concern over. 

If you're referring to the outcome of me voicing all this, and it wont come to anything, I was always just looking for more information about how properties are added to the network, can they be missed, what happens when some ppl are notified and others aren't, do OR do private side installations, can I employ a private contractor to connect me to a CBT if I've not been included by OR etc....A lot of this information is not conjecture and assuming it comes from a reliable source, its important for how I plan my home network and future correspondence with OR if I need to plead me case.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 47

Openreach do not do private installations and you categorically can't get a contractor to provide the connection. The only thing that is possible is to get a contractor to do is to dig a trench and supply ducting for Openreach to use. This is not appropriate in your case.

None of this is relevant to BT retail (this forum) and is in the realm of Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 47

None of this is relevant to BT retail (this forum) and is in the realm of Openreach.

OR dont have their own forum and I cant see an OR catagory in this forum.  Since my queries are unlikely to be answered by BT or OR advisors, this seems a good a place as any to get advice from knowledgeable people.

This thread is already riddled with good advice and information so not sure of your point?

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 47

Openreach do not do private installations and you categorically can't get a contractor to provide the connection. The only thing that is possible is to get a contractor to do is to dig a trench and supply ducting for Openreach to use. This is not appropriate in your case.

This is useful thank you.  So you're saying OR won't carry out any installations within private curtilage?  Even if the fibre needs to follow the old copper line?

Sounds like my neighbours are installing their own duct then but as per my above message, that begs the question who installs the fibre inside their duct from the public boundary to their property, especially if we're talking a few hundred yards.

But like you said, shouldnt affect my property as theres only 2m of private land between my house wall and the public road.  

I guess the reason I'm asking about private contracts is in the scenario that OR do not install enough ports on the CBT to include my property, can I arrange an expansion or an additional CBT to be installed so I can get FTTP.  But think you've answered that.

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 47

No, I'm saying you can't employ Openreach privately to provide your connection unless you opt for fttpod which will cost you tens of thousands of pounds.

If your property is within Openreaches plans, they will provide the connection.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 47

If your property is within Openreaches plans, they will provide the connection.

I'm with you now cheers.  So it all comes down to whether my property was included in the rollout plan or not.  If not, that will suck tremendously being within 6-7m of a CBT and seeing all my neighbours with kick **bleep** internet speeds!

Time will tell I guess!  And hopefully if I make enough noise, they might upgrade the CBT or something.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 47

openreach will know how many phone lines are currently connected to the pole and active so they will fit CBT accordingly.  In my own area not all poles have CBT but fibre connection run from the CBT to the 'blank' pole and then to the property just following the existing copper cable.

I expect your fibre connection to do the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.