cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

everybody be using FTTC be moved to FTTP ??

Go to solution

Screenshot 2024-04-09 122011.png

when the time comes will everybody be using FTTC be moved to FTTP openreach and require a OTN box and routher

and can i then ask bt to put the OTN anywhere if thats whats required

i know it as long way of it just interested as to what open reach will do

and what sort of speed could i get with 1000/1000 (Mbps)

or will it come from the overhead line

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/full-fibre/how-is-full-fibre-installed

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: everybody be using FTTC be moved to FTTP ??

Go to solution

They can’t force you onto FTTP at present but eventually everyone will have it.

Can’t see why you wouldn’t want it. After all, all the British Public have done these past 10 years is B1tch and Moan and Moan and B1tch that Openreach have been slow to Build a National FTTP Network yet when they do people seem reluctant to switch to it.

Also I’m a bit confused when you say, 

‘and what sort of speed could i get with 1000/1000 (Mbps)

or will it come from the overhead line’

For a start Openreach don’t currently offer a Symmetrical Service on FTTP and even if they did have a 1000/1000 Service those are the speeds you’d get.

These Speeds would be the same regardless of the Fibre Cable being underground or Overhead. The Cables the same, regardless of how it’s delivered.

Ref to the location of the ONT, they will usually put it where you want within reason.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Eventually FTTC customers will have FTTP but for some this will be a long way off , those on FTTP need an ONT , and within limits the ONT can be sited where the customer wants , that may be a different location to the master socket , but ( as an example ) if the master socket is at the front of the property on the ground floor and the customer wants the ONT at the rear in the first floor that may be refused.

Currently FTTP can deliver 1800 down, 120 up ( as your image shows ) by the time the rollout is 100% complete there may be even better speeds available.

FTTP in the vast majority of cases will be provided in the same way as the current copper , so if served by a pole , the FTTP will also use the pole , it’s possible that in some underground areas , poles could be provided so underground provision changes to overhead but this primarily depends on the cost of providing underground ( if no duct exists ) and things like , there physically may be no room in footpaths etc to install new duct so that method is impossible, so alternatives need to be considered 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

‘and what sort of speed could i get with 1000/1000 (Mbps)

i meant it possible i could get 1gb from my computer to my router

or just below that

or will it come from the overhead line’

will the just upgrade the cabinets we have now supplying the connwction

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Can you get 1Gb from your computer to the router ?  , depends if your computer has a Gb Ethernet port or not , if someone buys a Gb connection then with Ethernet overheads the speed will always be below that , but the 1.8Gb profile even allowing for overheads the speed will be massively over 1Gb ,

FWIW , Gb is sold as 900 by most providers to allow for this overhead , the throughput typically is 960Mb on ‘900Mb’ , better to sell 900 and give 960 , than have moaners saying why only 960 on 1Gb

0 Ratings