cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

fibre 2 package question

Good morning

I have a question about fibre 2 package speeds.

here is some background information. last year i was with EE broadband and we had a fault which took 4 goes to fix. the problem was a faulty pair of wires and we were swapped to a different pair from which point the speed dropped from 55-72 to 30mbps and stayed there ever since. the exchange is about 350 meters away.

Last month i swapped to BT as they were offering the higher speed of 55-72 but upon swapping i still only get 30mpbs on fibre 2 package.  when the email came through it says maximum speed of 33mbps but when i rang first off to sign up the person i spoke to said the download speed would be 55-72mbps?.

i have since phoned BT and they contacted open reach to find out why the speed is at 30 while all the other houses in my estate get 55-72mbps. The person i spoke to seemed to think something wasn't right but didn't know what it was. i have had no reply from open reach since 11/10/22

having read some posts on this community i think i may be on the wrong profile?. here is the log from the modem etc.

thanks for any help in advance.

egghead33_0-1667112365796.png

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2   
Serial number2.21E+09    
Fireware versionv0.37.00.07084-BT (Fri Jul  8 11:29:23 2022)
Board versionR01    
GUI version1.77 20_05_2022   
DSL uptime6 days 4 Hours 18 Mins 20 Secs  
Data rate10.0 Mbps / 35.0 Mbps  
Maximum Data rate10.9 Mbps / 44.1 Mbps  
Noise margin7.0/10.0    
Line attenuation10.6/17.6    
Signal attenuation10.6/19.4    
VLAN id101    
Upstream error controlOff    
Downstream error controlOff    
Data sent / received2.1 GB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded 
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com 
Public Wi-FiNot active   
2.4 GHz wireless network name    
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel1)   
5 GHz wireless network name    
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel48)   
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)  
Wireless modeMode 1    
FirewallOn    
MAC address    
Software variant-    
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017) 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: fibre 2 package question

distance from exchange is immaterial it is distance from street cabinet that counts.  if you were on wrong package that would not affect attainable speed and yours only shows 44mb.

Have you checked your phone line for noise as long as you are not on digital voice can you dial 17070 option 2 it should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for the reply.

when we were with ee that’s how we noticed there was a fault as when you pick up the analogue phone there was a bad hissing sound. This was then fixed hence the 4 visits by open reach.

now we are with bt we have digital voice as you say that now does not work.

Sorry I did mean the street cabinet and not the exchange. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 19

Yes I have tried connecting to the test socket with a new filter and it made no difference to the speed.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

have you also tried replacing the rj11 modem cable to see if that makes and difference.  if you have also tried that then you need to phone CS 150 and get openreach back again

Message 7 of 19

Yes the modem cable is also new as well. I have phoned customer services and the response was all checks were ok however they made a complaint to Openreach on my behalf with the information posted with the the reference number QIS441546 on the 9/10/22 and I have also emailed this week and received no response. 

I did receive a text yesterday from bt saying extra checks have been completed on your broad band and can confirm your receiving the minimum speed of 26.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Do you have fibre to the premises? If not (I could be wrong) I would doubt that you are on digital voice.

So you were on 70 with EE they changed the pair and you went down to 30, when you moved to BT they use the same pair and you still get 30?

To me I would say its something to do with that pair, that being said I am not an engineer

Message 9 of 19

@JonMace 

stats posted show FTTC not FTTP and digital voice is available to customers on FTTC

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Thanks for the reply.

no we have fibre to the cabinet.

the phone is plugged directly in to the hub and is dubbed digital voice.

We also have a digital voice adaptor for the 2nd phone as the master socket/extension socket are no longer used for the phone. The extension socket was disconnected and the wires sealed off.

yes it all seems to be since they changed us to a different cable pair whilst we were with EE and the same 30mbps when swapping to BT even though the customer services said the higher speed was available.

0 Ratings