cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

full fibre 500 very poor

Go to solution

Just recently upgraded my broadband from fibre 2 to full fibre 500, the speed test is showing only 0.63mbps. My internet is literally useless now 😫 I know it takes a few days to settle and optimise but this is ridiculous. I cant even facetime properly let alone stream movies or play xbox cloud gaming (which is why I upgraded in the first place) 🙄

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: full fibre 500 very poor

Go to solution

How are you performing the speed test? Over WiFi or with a wired ethernet connection?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
FTTP doesn’t take a few days to settle and optimise .
Was your F2 (80Mb ) broadband delivered by FTTC or were you already on FTTP , and the upgrade to 500Mb from 80Mb didn’t need an engineer visit ? .
If you are using the same FTTP kit that your 80Mb service was using , then obviously something has gone wrong and you need to report it , if you were on 80Mb on FTTC and were provided with a new FTTP ( full fibre ) ‘line’ , the tech should have demonstrated the new FTTP working .
I suspect you were already on FTTP , there is a very similar post ( a FTTP upgrade in speed ) that has left the customer with no service, your issue seems very similar ( unless for some reason you have posted the same problem twice )
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

No this isn't a double post. 

Fibre 2 was direct from the phoneline to the hub,  with the upgrade the engineer came and drilled into the flat and installed a powered box on the wall which the hub was plugged into. 

No demonstration, was just told the work was complete and it would take a few days to settle and optimise (which I guess was nonsense)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Was the tech Openreach or a contractor ? .

Unfortunately, you will need to report the issue to BT  , it may well be that although the tech should have connected your  kit and demonstrated it working and incorrectly stated that things ‘settle down ‘ , the problem may well be something they couldn’t directly resolve anyway ( if it’s a provisioning issue , basically your BT account not configured correctly ) .

If the PON light on the ONT ( the new powered box the installer fitted ) is steady green and remains that way , chances are the Openreach network is fine and it’s the ISP that needs to resolve the issue , but the technicians line about a few days to settle and optimise is nonsense, obviously to know for sure your ‘tests’ should be using a wired device and not wireless , you can run a BT test that measures speed to the hub .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Baz76 

Are you using the SmartHub 2 and is the ethernet cable to the ONT plugged into port 4 of the SH2 and is that enabled within the SH2 as the FTTP port?

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Yeah was a contractor,

Ok will check the PON light on the ONT later when back home and take it from there. 

Thanks 👍

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Yes using the smart hub 2, the ethernet cable is plugged into the WAN port

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@Baz76 

Can I ask what the issue actually was?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
I have no idea, I turned off and unplugged everything (even deleted the BT app from my phone and reinstalled it) waited a while and rebooted. The WiFi is much better in the room with the hub, less so everywhere else. Will probably hard wire to the room where I want to play Xbox cloud gaming and watch 4K streaming anyway. But for now it seems like a major improvement
0 Ratings