We have put together a short survey to capture your feedback in terms of what BT can do when you experience home Wi-Fi issues. We would appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete a short survey. Read more from here, Fix my home Wi-Fi
I am in the process of moving house this week and wanted to get setup with some nice fast fibre broadband in our new home.
However I've just found out that my local BT cabinet despite having fibre, has no more fibre ports available to me.
I hadn't heard of this situation before but apparently its a thing, because everyone else (the neighbours) have taken all the ports up.
So my only option is to get a basic copper line put it for now.
My question's are :
1) how or why would a cabinet not have the capability to have at least 1 port for each home in that area.
2) is there any way (other than waiting for a neighbour to switch theirs off and cancel) to get more ports in that cabinet? EG can i contact BT or Openreach to get them to upgrade it? I'd even pay if it was a reasonable charge.
3) are there any BT / Openreach engineers out there reading this who can check this out for me please because this is a vital thing for me as I work in IT and I work from home so need a decent connection as well as having family who stream and game online . Our dream house move is now a tech broadband nightmare.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Enter your new address and post results remember delete address. If the cab is scheduled for upgrade it normally says in the notes
Not everyone in the neighbourhood will want openreach fibre so commercially only ports available based on a percentage of homes covered. Extra can be added if enough customers on waiting list
Thank you for the quick reply
this is the results of that test :
|80||65.4||20||19||59.7||Waiting list||Waiting list|
|80||62.1||20||19||55||Waiting list||Waiting list|
|Up to 6||--||3.5 to 8.5||Available|
|Up to 6||Up to 1||3.5 to 8.5||Available|
|Up to 4.5||--||3 to 7.5||Available|
The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.
The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.
The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.
FTTP is not available.
obbiously confirms what you knew that the cab was full with waiting list
there are normally notes beneath the schedule which often show if likely to be an openreach upgrade
I appreciate the quick response and info.
with it being full as expected , is there any way I can get this cab upgraded ? even if it means paying for it .
The irony in this situation is that I know some of the neighbours already and I talked to them about broadband speeds as it was a key thing for me for the move. As you might expect they all said YEAH we have great fibre, and several of them are single old ladies who probably never fully use their capacity.... :(.
surely there must be a way to get a port without having to wait an unknown length of time until someone in the area cancels . I could be waiting forever.
1. PCP’s can potentially provide over 1000+ lines so to have enough DSLAM Ports for each property would potentially mean 4+ DSLAMS needing to be installed plus multiple cabinet bolt on side pods. To say that would be an eyesore is an understatement. Plus it’d be bloody expensive.
2. Openreach may increase capacity, depends on the demand. You could offer to pay but they would say no. Anyway, it could potentially cost thousands, even tens of thousands. If you had that kind of money you might as well just pay for FTTPoD.
3. An Openreach or BT Engineer wouldn’t be able to tell you any different.
Sorry but you either have to wait for someone moving and giving up their connection or openreach making a decision to upgrade the cabinet which may or may not happen. There is nothing you can do to get openreach to increase capacity and certainly not just one port
thanks @imjolly . I appreciate the responses tonight.
I had a bad feeling there would be nothing I could do but it was worth asking in case there was a way to get it upgraded.
shame but I guess I'll keep pestering the neighbours lol