cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Charges on mobiles outside mobile plan

Go to solution

I have never had an extra charge on my mobile monthly bill over several years. On my current bill I have an extra charge of £30.10. listed as sending 5 out of plan texts.  I have no idea what these texts were unless they were to block a rogue number. I am not able to contact BT direct to query them. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Charges on mobiles outside mobile plan

Go to solution

Sending MMS and not plain text will incur charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you for this reply but I was aware of that and checking through my phone record in the month in which this charge was made I had not sent any long texts or pictures. Not being savvy with all phone technology at my age of 76 I send short video sound recordings on my phone which are sent by WhatsApp.  Would they incur excess charges from Bt?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Spottydog3wrote:

I send short video sound recordings on my phone which are sent by WhatsApp.  Would they incur excess charges from Bt?

WhatsApp would not count as out of plan, WhatsApp would use your data/wi-fi to send.
It's most likely been a text message with a video/too long or contains images, which are then sent as an MMS rather than SMS, check your text message history and see if any stand out.

Also have a read of I'm being charged for texts when I thought they were included in my plan 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you for this answer and the clarification concerning whatsapp which my family use to keep in touch.  I will check my Bt texts sent in the last month. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

an additional charge of £30 for a month is far more than just a few MMS text messages.  are you sure you have not exceeded your data allowance for the month?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Spottydog3wrote:

Thank you for this answer and the clarification concerning whatsapp which my family use to keep in touch.  I will check my Bt texts sent in the last month. 

One last thing that will help is setting a spending cap, you can set it to £0.00 going up in steps of £2.50, for example £2.50, £5.00, £7.50 etc

More info can be found at How can I manage my BT Mobile spend? 

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Just wanted to say thankyou to responders and to warn others of a scam that I have now identified and fell into.  Bt told me about an premium rate calls/message at 10pm. It was from 700374035 a number I did not recognise and I blocked it together with similar numbers. Apparently it messaged me three times and each one charged me £10 donation without me knowing it was taking money from my account.