cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Equifax lists BT mobile as current. Cancelled in 2020

Hi, I wonder if you can help. I’ve contacted BT mobile a few times to have my previous Mobile account deactivated from my credit file. I am told it is no longer current yet still shows as active on my credit report with Equifax. Is there a specific department to contact? Can anyone shed some light please? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Equifax lists BT mobile as current. Cancelled in 2020

I'd suggest you will likely need for you to raise a dispute with Equifax to state the infomation is inaccurate on your credit file but my understanding this can take upto 28 days to process.
Message 3 of 14

@Samecoin2sides 

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax or Experian, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

They'll then liaise with BT for you.

Message 4 of 14

Thanks Keith. Both credit reference agencies ask you to get in touch with the company, I.e. BT as they state as agencies they only reflect data from the companies. I feel like I am going round in circles.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

As you have already contacted BT and they have assured you that it is no longer current it is now up to Equifax to investigate and update your file if that is the case.

You should recontact Equifax and ask them to check that the information on your file regarding BT is still accurate because according to BT it is not.

What do I do if there's incorrect information on my credit report? (equifax.co.uk)

Message 6 of 14

@Samecoin2sides 

Are you sure that there was no outstanding amount when you rang up in 2020 to cancel your mobile account, perhaps you were still in a contract?

Message 7 of 14

Hi, Yes, I cancelled and ported my number across. I had employee discount so had to speak to two separate people regarding this. The balance is nill, but the DD is still active with BT. Thanks, looking forward to your thoughts.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Have BT taken any payments from your Direct Debit at any time after you closed the account?

It is up to you to close any Direct Debit which you can do at any time although it would be foolhardy to do that if you still owed money and likewise BT should not take money after you have closed your account with them. 

See link about how a Direct Debit works.

What is Direct Debit?

Message 9 of 14

I haven’t closed the DD, despite no payments required after closure and nothing being owed. Purely as, if as you say a payment was required years after closure then there would be a stumbling block. Cancelling my DD doesn’t effect BT’s ability to close and inactivate my account, thus removing it from my credit file. 
so how do I get bt to deactivate my account please?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

I have no idea about how you get BT to deactivate your account especially if they have already told you it is not active.

Why would BT need to take a payment years after if nothing is owed on the account. If BT are not taking payments and nothing is owed you should close your Direct Debit. This would remove it from your credit file.

To remove your Direct Debit you would, assuming you have Internet banking, log onto your Bank account and check the menu for "Your Payments" or something similar. It will show all your Direct Debits that are set up. Select the BT one and delete it.

If you need to make payments to BT at some point in the future it is easy enough to set up a new Direct Debit.

Other than that there is nothing further I can suggest to help you.