cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Excessive data charges

Put my mobile phone with a BT SIM in flight mode before flight to Istanbul.

When I arrived at my hotel I had a text from BT stating I had used my allowance of data. How is this possible whne flight mode greys out mobile networks and the internet?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Excessive data charges

Hi, @MarkGT1 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry about the delay getting back to you. Flight mode is a feature of the mobile and not the network, have you tried to test if this is working properly on your mobile by turning it on and trying to use the internet to see if you're still connected to a mobile signal?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi 

When my phone is in flight mode I can't access the internet, option is greyed out and I can't access mobile networks, also greyed out. 

Regards

Mark

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

when you received the text from BT did you right away check the mobile data usage shown on your phone to see if you were or had used data?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi

No I didn't check data usage, I switched the phone off to prevent any further charges.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

pity you did not check your phone for data usage at the time

when you landed in Istanbul did you turn off flight mode like most people do?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

No, seeing the text that I had already spent £30, I switched the phone off. 
I only switched it back on when I was in the UK, the phone was still in flight mode 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

You cannot make or receive email or SMS if your phone is in flight mode so must have been off to receive BT text at your hotel either that or there is a fault with phone

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@imjollywrote:

You cannot make or receive email or SMS if your phone is in flight mode so must have been off to receive BT text at your hotel either that or there is a fault with phone

You can turn wifi back on and still be in flight mode, so as long as the user has access to a wifi network they'll still have data access, texts etc. If this is what @MarkGT1 has done then that's how he's received a text at the hotel.

0 Ratings