cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 57

Mobile data usage

Had a notification from BT that somehow I had used 9.68 GB of mobile data in 6 days. Not sure how that is possible as I do not download anything on my phone, not music or movies, nothing. Anybody had this before? Maybe it is my phone playing tricks I don't know but I have switched off my mobile data now. 

0 Ratings
56 REPLIES 56
Message 2 of 57

Re: Mobile data usage

Are you sure it's not a scam? Did the message want you to pay for more.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 57

Thanks for replying. It was one of BT's standard messages when the usage nears the monthly allowance so I don't think it is a scam. The data usage figure is on the record but to be advised that I used 8.71 GB in 3 days was puzzling to say the least. 

Message 4 of 57

Same here.  Suddenly using 6 GB of data t home when I have unlimited data broadband.  Makes no sense.  Thinking of getting a replacement SIM.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 57

BT Mobile data usage

My BT mobile phone data usage has just gone crazy. I suddenly got a text message that I had used a lot of data so went into my MyBT checked and saw I had used nearly 7 GB on Sunday when I was at home all day and have unlimited home broadband.  Complained to BT and they claim it was excessive YouTube use but cannot provide itemised detail.  Sounds suspicious that they claim it was YouTube but cannot provide itemised browsing detail - what devices were used etc.  Any ideas?  Will a new SIM help?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 57

Re: BT Mobile data usage

A new sim won’t make a difference, it’s likely to be your handset settings.

Depending on make/model there are a few settings that could contribute towards it. Most default settings allow data to be used either when Wi-Fi is poor or when it will benefit from a combination of data and Wi-Fi eg streaming, software updates etc 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 57

Probably background data for software/app updates or cloud backup most likely
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 57

Most phones have a setting that allows the user to see what the phone has actually used. On an iPhone it is under Settings>Mobile Data. If your having problems then it's probably a good idea to reset it to zero then check regularly.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 57

That is interesting. My Huawei P20 lite has refused to connect to both WiFi and Bluetooth since June last year. Maybe it is time for a new phone as obviously my phone is not working properly. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 57

@Kentish51wrote:

That is interesting. My Huawei P20 lite has refused to connect to both WiFi and Bluetooth since June last year. Maybe it is time for a new phone as obviously my phone is not working properly. 

For your P20 Lite, check where this magical data has been used.

1. Press Settings.
  2. Press Wireless & networks.
  3. Press Mobile data.
  4. The total data usage is displayed.
  5. Press Data usage ranking.
  6. The data usage for each application is displayed below the name of the application. See how to turn mobile data on or off.
  7. Press the Home key to return to the home screen.