Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 57

Re: BT Mobile data usage

Thanks for the information.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 57

Check this out. 2 days ago, I apparently ‘used’ 9 gig. Yesterday I ‘used’ 19 gig. Today between midnight and 7 am (when asleep) I ‘used’ 6 gig. Make that make sense. BT are lying to us. There’s clearly some heavy bugging going on - or their systems are compromised
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 57

@kojowusu 

What data usage does your phone show you have used over the same period?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 57

Hi.  

My phone shows similar total 35+gig  usage under ‘data usage’ but the app breakdown shows YouTube usage of only about 2 gig …  And my YouTube watch history does indeed confirm about 2 gig of usage.  

Meanwhile the BT tech team say 90% of my 35 gig usage is YouTube.
I mean who watches 19 gig of YouTube in one day? Incredible 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 57

Hi,

Did you ever get a satisfactory answer from BT about the excessive data usage as same thing has happened to me twice. they only offered to change me over to EE as I'm still BT Mobile. 

24th May I receive a text to say I've used 4.85gb of 6gb allowance, called BT who say I used 1.42gb on You Tube. I explained I only used it for approx 10 mins and was on wifi at the time. 

11th June I went on You Tube for 10 mins, maybe less, I ensured I had wifi on and mobile data off, minutes later I get same text saying I used nearly 5gb of data. Call up BT who say this time its used 4.56gb. They could not say why it would download data when data is turned off and I said my grandaughter watched some nursery rythmes for 10 mins so literally a gb for every 2.5 mins. My phone says I've used 192MB this billing cycle on You Tube. My phone is also set to not allow mobile data when wifi signal is weak. 

Other thing is my phone data usage for this billing cycle is only showing 1.55gb from 25th May to now, massively less than the amount BT are saying, how can this be.

I've now disabled You Tube as I won't get caught a 3rd time. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 57

Hello.

I have had to get a new Android phone.  
I have got a new BT SIM card.  

I have set a 10GB usage limit/warning on my phone.  And every night, I switch off my mobile data.  Watching it like a hawk but so far so good.

My belief is this is either:

1. BT systems are compromised (or corrupt) and mixing accounts/data usage and they don’t want to take responsibility. This bs about YouTube being the cause of usage is **bleep** because you can see your watch history in YouTube if it is videos.  Who watches 10GB of videos in one day anyway?   Or..

2. There is a new phone hacking gig going on . Or ..

3. Samsung (when they want you to buy a new phone) get your phone to act up.  Or …

4. Something more sinister.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 57

Hi,

I have also had the same issue twice in the last month and my husband also had the same problem when his phone was turned off at work as well. I was given a free data bolt on but this does not resolve the unauthorised usage. When I check earlier today, I had 'used' over 700Mb, which is massive compared to my normal usage. I turned my Mobile Data off as i was at home on Wi-Fi. I checked 2 hours later and the usage has gone up to over 1Gb. How is this possible when my Mobile Data is turned off. I have taken screenshots on my phone of app usage and YouTube is minimal and I never use YouTube unless I am taken there via FB or Insta so would only be for a minimal time and at home on WiFi.

Something is very wrong and I have no confidence with BT even when my Mobile Data is turned off.

And I work for BT as well as my husband !!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 57

Hi,

Something is definitely dodgy about this excess data usage.

When it happened to me the 1st time in May, like yourself I was at home and data was off and I wasn't on my phone all evening and yet I get a message just before midnight to say I'd used my entire data, the message earlier in the day had said I used 4.85 of 6GB allowance. I queried how I'd used it when data was definitely off and I'd not been on phone all evening. They gave me the You Tube story too.

When it happened the next month, again they blamed You Tube but I said I was 100% not on mobile data as I had been home all day and it was switched off and I checked it before allowing my granddaugher 10 mins of nursery rythmns due to what they claimed happened the previous month.

On each occasion they have suggested I move to EE SIM which I don't want to yet, as contract doesn't expire until end of October and I'm going abroad several times over coming months and BT Mobile still gives me free roaming. 

I gave them permission to analyse my data usage to maybe help find the problem but they said due to data protection they would not be permitted. I said I was going to contact an old colleague that still works in BT and get an email address for whoever heads up BT Mobile and email them asking them to analyse it but advisor said this still would not be permitted. It makes no sense that BT claim I've used just short of 6gb by time my billing cycle renewed but phone data usage said 2.11GB, also BT claim I used 2.5gb in 10 mins on You Tube, phone says 504MB for entire billing cycle. 

Its frustrating as I also worked for BT up until retirement last year and my intention was to stay with them when contract expires in October but I'm going to move to 02 who still provide free roaming. 

Something very strange is happening with mobile data/you tube/samsung and I don't believe we'll get to the bottom of it and BT seem unable to offer any solution or help. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 57

Fascinating replies to my initial post. By the seem of it we will never know the answer for this bug in the system. I now have got myself a new mobile phone and switched from BT to EE in view of the tie up which is coming. So far there have been no mysterious data spurts. Hopefully that will remain the case.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 57

Fingers crossed!

0 Ratings