cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 57

Re: BT Mobile data usage

And so it continues. I switched to EE and so far no outlandish data usage claims. 

0 Ratings
Message 52 of 57

This has happened to me in May, June & August. BT claim its You Tube usage even though its disabled. Last month they said I'd used 5.25gb, my phone said 643mb. My issue has been escalated to Executive Complaints but still no answers as to why this is happening. They suggested it could be my phone so I got a new phone, watching to see if it happens again. As you'll see on this thread, this is happening to loads of people. Its the same on the EE community forum, but EE admit they are aware of an issue with You Tube taking more data than customer is using. BT Mobile is also EE so surprised they are not aware of it. 

Message 53 of 57

Check out their community forum too, same issues. Not surprising as same network. Take a look!

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 57

After three days of high data usage being registered, despite me hardly using my phone, I think I may have found the culprit.

I suspect that my BT broadband has been dropping out while I was online at home on my laptop, and automatically switching over to 4 or 5G. If broadband had been switching in and out, it would have stayed on the mobile connection. 

Yesterday I changed the settings so my laptop didn't automatically switch the internet connection to my phone when broadband was down. Low and behold, my mobile data usage dropped down to virtually nothing again!

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 10.44.55.png

I'm less than  half way through the billing month but because of those three rogue days, my bill has already increased by over £15. Even minor use for the rest of the period will increase it further.

It's not a massive amount, but I don't see why I should have to pay for what certainly appears to be a BT fault. 

I should imagine that trying to explain this to someone over the phone, after no doubt a long wait, would be a challenge. It would be far easier for me to send an email. But that option doesn't seem to exist. If it was a large amount, I would find a way - even if it meant messaging the CEO. But I really can't be bothered for such a small amount, so BT win!

Message 55 of 57

Hi Zayasdad,

I’m not saying that your broadband flip-flopping is not the problem in your case, but it couldn’t account for the erroneous data consumption in my case. I don’t use a laptop anymore and no other device in the house could have switched to using mobile data via my phone. I’m still convinced there is a fault with the mobile data recording at the network level not the device or Broadband. I haven’t had any issues since moving to EE although BT Mobile and EE use the same infrastructure and reporting systems so I’m keeping my eye on it.

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 57

Mmmmm... could be but I'm not convinced, I still say there is a clitch in the EE/BT Mobile system.

0 Ratings
Message 57 of 57

Mine has been all good so far this billing cycle, but then I have purchased a new phone as BT suggested it could be my handset. Its interested that some EE users with same issue have been told EE are aware of an issue with You Tube taking double or more data and credited them with the excess data that was used. My contract expires next month and unless they give me a good deal on a SIM only rolling contract then I'll be off to 02. 

0 Ratings