cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Phishing Calls on iPhone

Go to solution

Over the last few days I have been inundated with so-called Neighbourhood Phishing Calls i.e. calls from mobile numbers that are very similar to my own number. Thus far I have taken the following steps - blocked all calls other than ones that come from my contacts book and turned on Silence Unknown Callers, both via Settings on my iPhone 13 Pro Max (iOS Version 16.1.1). I have spoken to Apple who checked I had not been compromised in any way and all seems well there. Despite blocking non-Contact Book callers a few are still slipping through. To make matters worse every time a phishing call tries to get through I get a Message indicating I got a call, but no message left - necessary I know, but just as annoying! Apple advised me to see if BT could help, but from their website I cannot identify the best way forward other than the general number. 

Can anyone suggest anything else I can do and, in particular, what BT Mobile could do to help (other than change my number which is really the last resort!)

Many thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phishing Calls on iPhone

Go to solution
There’s not much else you can really do other than put up with it until it blows over.
You could try disabling your voicemail by dialling 15710 to see if that stops the messages when they can’t get through.
It’s somewhat common these days but typically after a few days they’ll move onto another number range and bother other people.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks for your response. I felt that might be the case, but thought I would reach out just in case. Just to clarify I meant text messages to tell me I had a missed call (ie me ignoring the call) and no voicemail message was left. 
Some patience then and hope they go away and maybe find something more productive to do with their lives!

Again my thanks- appreciated

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Yes I understand the messages about the missed calls come from 1571 aka BTs voicemail number, just a thought as I’m not sure if it stops those texts.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@morrig47 wrote:

Some patience then and hope they go away and maybe find something more productive to do with their lives!

Again my thanks- appreciated

Just so that you are aware, it is not a person calling you. It is a computer that make the call . You only get connect to a spammer human if you actually answer the call.

It is your phone that is alerting you that you have a missed call. 1571 notifies you of missed calls where the caller didn't leave a message. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340. Yes I was aware of the computer element in this, but it is a human being who starts off the whole sorry cycle. Just wish they would get a life. 
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Much appreciated. 

0 Ratings