cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Roaming text message

I have received 2 text messages from BT on the last 2 days stating as below, strange as I am on Anglesey, north Wales. Any ideas why

Hello, BT here. Welcome to Jersey. You can use your normal data, calls and texts allowance while in the country and calls and texts are free to receive. If you go over your allowance, you'll be charged extra: 10.83p/MB for data, 38p/min to make calls and 11p to send texts. To find out more, visit bt.com/roamlikehome. For the best possible network coverage, just make sure your handset can automatically select a network. If you need any help, visit bt.com/phoneguides. For emergencies, call 112. To stop receiving texts from us, send STOP to 9767.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Roaming text message

I had the same text a month or so ago in Somerset. Phoned mobile support and the person I spoke to checked my account and it showed I was still in the uk and could find anything wrong but said he’d received several calls, not sure over what period, with the same text.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

My wife and I have each received the ‘Welcome To Jersey’ message overnight. 
We are in the north of Cumbria !!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Out of interest, did any of you notice any disruption to TV reception at around the same time?

As you may be aware, frequencies that in the past were traditionally used for TV broadcasting, (in the range 690 to 854MHz), have been re-allocated to mobile phones. These are the lowest frequencies that have generally been used for GSM phones in this country.

As the frequency becomes lower, the effect of weather conditions, (not necessarily local to you), becomes more apparent. You may have noticed warnings on TV weather forecasts in the past about disruption to TV reception?

What might have happened in this case is that a Tropospheric Duct temporarily formed between the Channel Islands and your part of the country. This can make distant signals stronger in certain areas than the local masts, and phones just lock on to the strongest signal at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_propagation

Note that this is different to when the natural topography in an area shields UK signals and makes foreign ones stronger. It is not uncommon for people in East and South-East Kent, for example, to receive messages that they are on French or Belgian networks.

Out of interest, @Cynic1960, as you are on Anglesey, do you ever connect to networks in the Republic of Ireland?

Message 5 of 6

@AlanDeewrote:

My wife and I have each received the ‘Welcome To Jersey’ message overnight. 
We are in the north of Cumbria !!

It's a load of old Aurora Borealis! Our Freeview went haywire!

Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the reply Paul. Didn’t notice any particular TV disruption last night. Just found the ‘Jersey’ message amusing considering we are currently about 500 miles north of there.
0 Ratings