cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Unable to make calls and send SMS in USA

Hello

I landed in Miami yesterday and am unable to use my phone to make calls or send SMS. Receiving SMS seems to be fine, but all calls to me seem to be going to voicemail (I get SMS telling I have new voicemail but then can’t check it!).

Data seems to be working fine and I even received an SMS from BT saying that the travel data pass had been activated (and later renewed). 

Whilst this is not normally a problem (I use I urgently need to send my credit card provider an SMS to tell them a purchase is not fraud. My iPhone gives me a “not delivered” message. Right now I can’t call them to sort this out either. 

I have checked everything and nothing is jumping out  I am currently roaming with AT&T but switching this doesn’t make a difference either.

Thanks for any help you can give  

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to make calls and send SMS in USA

Make sure your International spending limit is not set to zero.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

in my account settings it says that I have currently spent £0. The cap is set to £40. In the advanced settings for the cap, “using your phone abroad” is switched on. 

Is there somewhere else this needs to be set?

Message 4 of 7

Not that I am aware of.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Try increasing your spend cap to £100, just leave the data roaming cap at £0. Should update within 10 mins or so, then try again.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

That doesn’t seem to have made any difference. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

You have probably done this but it might be worth checking this link and sub links.

www.bt.com/help/mobile/going-abroad/using-bt-mobile-abroad/bt-mobile--what-do-i-need-to-do-before-i-...

If that doesn' t help I think you will need to call the BT Help line.+44 150 174 7714