cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Wi-fi calling ( dropping out ). ?

Hi all

does anyone have any ideas why , when making a call using by wi-fi calling, the call drops out ? It’s definitely my end because it can happen when I’m calling a land line number , so that rules out the other end so to speak , 

it happens that 3G / 4g coverage is a bit hit and miss regarding signal strength from the mast, so wondering if that has anything to do with it

thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wi-fi calling ( dropping out ). ?

Mobile signal strength and reliability is totally irrelevant when using Wi-Fi calling and dropouts are like rocking horse manure. It sounds more like that you think your phone is using Wi-Fi calling but it isn't.

If it's an Android phone then pull the notification area down during a call, if you are using Wi-Fi then you should see the message 'Wi-Fi call in progress'

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Is it possible you have your phone set to select the strongest signal between your mobile network and your WiFi so when during WiFi calling  your phone gets a stronger mobile signal and drops WiFi in favour mobile hence drop in call?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 8

@circuitbender 

Do you have any WiFi extenders or discs on your home network?

Originally, I had a 3 disc Whole Home WiFi setup, with the hub's WiFi turned off. I found that when I was on a WiFi Calling call and moved around the house/garden/garage, the call would drop out when I moved from one disc to another. The BT Technical people told me that this shouldn't happen.

I have now removed the Whole Home WiFi, and just use the Smart Hub 2's, and I no longer have a problem with calls dropping out.

This happened on both incoming and outgoing calls, and my phone is a Samsung A41 bought from BT Shop.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi all

my wi-fi call can drop out even when im well within range of the router ( but im moving around ) my theory is that , because i have an up and down 4g mobile signal strength, i think when the signal strength is good, it connects to the phone and drops the wifi calling, because the wifi calling icon on the phone disappears ?

trouble is, you cant have wifi calling without mobile data switched on 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@circuitbenderwrote:

you cant have wifi calling without mobile data switched on 

You can, at least on my S10+ you can. If I enter airplane mode & then enable WiFi, WiFi Calling pops back up & I can make/receive calls with the mobile signal completely disabled.

I have virtually no signal indoors but in the five years or so I've been using WiFi Calling, I don't think I've ever had a call drop.

Do you know which band your phone is connecting to the router with? Generally 2.4GHz has better range than 5GHz.

Maybe also try a wander around the house performing speed tests, or better with a WiFi analyser to see if you're walking through a dead spot.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for that

I have an old iPhone , I’ll try the airplane mode , didn’t think of that Ive enabled wi-fi calling on my wife’s android and I’ll see how she gets on 

I’ve disabled 5ghz , the wi-if security cameras we have only work on 2.4

there is definitely a dead spot in the house only 15 feet from router, but that is with Wi-fi signal going through 2 solid brick walls , not studded and plaster boards so can understand the attenuation there, still wi-fi , just weak .

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Ah interesting - thanks for the comments - I've been having the same trouble, wifi calling and the call drops out. 

Samsung / Android - Found a setting under "phone" settings that is "Calling Preference" - this was set to" Mobile network preferred", changed this to "Wifi Preferred" - will have to see what happens.  

0 Ratings