cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

WiFi calling for SIM only phone

Go to solution

I have an Xperia 5 that I've used for years. I switched to BTmobile this week and can't get WiFi calling working.

I've read all the posts about switching it on but it doesn't work.

I've checked the IMS status and it shows that WiFi calling (and voLTE) are not provisioned for me.

Is this something that can be enabled?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: WiFi calling for SIM only phone

Go to solution

Hi @Rabit welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry wifi calling isn't working for you. The BT mobile tech team should be able to assist you with that. You can get them by dialling 150 from your mobile. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hey NeilO,

Thanks for the response.

When I spoke to 150 about my account issues they told me that there wasn't anything to do from their end relating to setup of wifi-calling. It's just supposed to work.

Is this a different team you're referring to?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @Rabit you need to speak with the BT Mobile help team so you can report a fault. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

will do. thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

That was a waste of time calling. The message i'm getting from the support team is the "Wifi Calling is provisioned from the handset" (just repeated to me multiple times it seems). So apparently there's no fault to raise. All I need to do is enable the "Wifi Calling" option on my phone and check that my wifi is working properly. 

(I realise that there are un-technical people making support calls but sometimes really I feel that the person answering these support calls are only reading off a script and aren't really there to help my situation. I think I just need to get through to the right team.)

Anyway, for anyone who might be trying to help....:

I have an Xperia 5 which is capable of Wifi-calling. I have checked the Android phone info using the star-hash code 4636. I can see that the IMS service status is "Not registered", and therefore my VoLTE and VoWIFI are "Unavailable".

I don't have detailed knowledge about how IMS works but I do think it's a carrier issue. Maybe someone can enlighten me about how to get that registration working.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@Rabit 

I'm seeing on our friend google for Sony:

You can turn on Wifi and 4G Calling in your device settings -

1. To enable Wifi Calling, go to Settings > More > Wi-Fi calling. Make sure Wi-Fi calling is set to On. To switch off Wifi Calling, set the toggle to Off.
  2. To switch on 4G Calling, go to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Enable VoLTE. Make sure Wi-Fi calling is set to On. To switch off 4G Calling, set the toggle to Off.

There is also mention that some Sony devices require carrier firmware to enjoy BOTH wifi and 4g calling. If you have 4g calling enabled, try turning that off and check whether wifi-calling appears.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Hey thanks for the info.

I also have travelled with our friend Google and the info has led me to the IMS registration.

I don't get the options shown in these posts because the IMS provisioning doesn't complete.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

For anyone following along....

I contacted Sony about this issue and they confirm that the provisioning of Wifi-Calling is done by the carrier when purchasing the phone (not OTA).

Since I brought my own phone, it's unable to connect to BT's Wifi-Calling registration -- this being the IMS registration issue.

Hope this information helps someone else.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

I wonder if that's a Sony thing. I bought (from Amazon) a Moto G6 Play a few years ago and WiFi calling was provisioned on that 'out of the box' - I didn't even have to go into settings to switch it on.

0 Ratings