cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Sport App Casting - misleading and contradictory information

I'm a BT Broadband customer. I saw an ad saying that if I take out a BT Sim I get BT Sport app for free. I would only be interested in this if I can cast it to a TV as the phone is too small to watch sport, so I googled 'BT Sport app cast to chromecast' and the top result is this one: https://www.bt.com/help/bt-sport/can-i-stream-bt-sport-using-chromecast-or-apple-tv-

That page says that you CAN cast as long as you don't have BT Sport through one of the following 3:

• EE Mobile subscription without the large screen BT Sport App add-on
  • BT Mobile deal without BT Broadband
  • BT Business package

The second one says 'BT Mobile WITHOUT Broadband'. I have BT Broadband so I understand that this does not apply to me. As I don't fall into any of those 3 categories I should be able to cast? So I signed up for a sim card. It arrived today so I tested the BT Sport out and tried to cast it  - I got the V550 error saying that I can't cast. So I checked out this forum and there are several posts saying that you can't cast if you have BT Sport as part of a sim deal.

If this is correct - why does the BT website say that you can cast as long as you have mobile AND broadband (see link above)? Can someone from BT clarify this and if necessary update the website?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Sport App Casting - misleading and contradictory information

Hi, @bobby1231 welcome to the community and thanks for your post.  I'm really sorry the bt.com page you've highlighted contains incorrect information. With BT Sport on your mobile, you’re only able to watch on your smartphone.

I've highlighted this to the website owner to get that page removed and I'm sorry for the misleading information on there.  

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Neil, in that case I'll be cancelling my sim 😞

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Re: Casting problem - "Sorry you haven't enabled BT Sport casting yet (error code VC550)"

I only removed my comment @Marcus_H because NeilO had also replied with the same and I didn't want to tread on his toes. The post was correct, and wasn't removed for any liability reasons.
I don't have a full knowledge of the BT Sport proposition - I thought the BT Mobile package came after the free BT Sport with Broadband had already ended, but this article suggests there may have been an overlap. All BT Broadband customers were informed when the free BT Sport entitlement ended, and when ordering BT Mobile now, the web site makes it clear that BT Sport access is app-only.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi bobby1231 - Not sure why Neil has created a new thread rather than reply to your post on my existing "Casting problem" thread.  But I have my suspicions

Good find bobby - I thought I'd seen something along these lines but couldn't find at the time of my original post.

So, I noticed that DarrenDev (BT Sport Expert) replied to your question on this thread to say that the "article is hideously out of date and that he's asked the editors to remove it" and yet just as quickly his post has disappeared (although I do have a screenprint). Interesting admission of culpability there.

Out of date or not, I'm now into my 4th continuous year as a BT mobile (with Sport App) / broadband customer and I'd therefore assume that the article was relevant at the time I took my contract out.   I'd be interested to know the legalities of BT varying the terms of my contract by withdrawing the casting option without either my consent or prior notice.    

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Re: Casting problem - "Sorry you haven't enabled BT Sport casting yet (error code VC550)"

Noted @DarrenDev , but I think you miss the original point.

I didn't get free BT sport with broadband (although I am a longstanding BT Fibre Broadband customer), I got the BT Sport app free when I switched to  BT mobile. The deal was free BT sport app if you took out 6GB or higher contract.  At the time the terms were that the App could be cast. 

My contact has been continuous since that time.

I AM therefore aggrieved that BT has seen fit to withdraw the casting option without my consent or prior notice. It is a variation of the legal agreement / understanding on which the original contract was entered into. What the BT website makes clear to NEW customers now is irrelevant.   

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Moved comments to keep in one place @Marcus_H

I've just checked with the product owner, and as far as we're aware, casting has never been allowed as part of a BT Mobile subscription. Mobile subscriptions have always been mobile-only. Some customers were using screen mirroring to work around this restriction, which was only noticed (and blocked) in March 2020 when the app was updated.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi @Marcus_H my apologies I was trying to move the full thread from the lounge to the BT Sport app boards as it wasn't relevant to the lounge, unfortunately this didn't go to plan and it left the original post on the lounge and only moved the responses. I've fixed it so all the posts are in the one thread and in the correct area of the community.
0 Ratings