cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT postal billing scam

Hi.

This is some info to hopefully help the unwary not be scammed.

I have no BT account, never been a BT customer.

I've recently received a suspect BT Letter along with a Direct Debit Mandate form.

This is an obvious scam to get my bank details.

Letter looks genuine - ish, no mention of what the account is for, just a made up account number, even the postal address is correct (checked online).

Letter reads as follows:

Your account number is: GB********

25 Aug 2023

Paying by Direct Debit

Hello ****,

Here's some information about paying your bill by Direct Debit.

To set one up, either:

*     call 0800 44 33 11

*    fill in the form on the back of this letter & send it to BT plc PO BOX 344 SHEFFIELD S98 1BT.

When you've done that, we'll get in touch with your bank or building society to sort everything out.

How your payments work

We'll take the money from your account at least six working days after the date of your bill.

Thanks,

BT Customer Support   

(No form on the rear of this letter, D/D mandate is on a separate A4 sheet)

Direct debit mandate is clearly a photo copy of an old form done by a dot printer, well dodgy on its own as everyone now uses laser printing which has seem less txt.

***Everyone be aware, don't fall it, ensure you destroy any address info on paperwork you throw in the bin.***

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT postal billing scam

Hi @Gaz666

Welcome and thank you for your post!

I am sorry for the confusion around the recent letter you received.  I would like to look into this further from here.  I have sent you a message, privately.  Please respond when you have a moment and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 3 of 10

TBH , that is more than likely an issue with your address than an attempt to scam you , it’s likely that someone deliberately or mistakenly has given your address instead of their own to BT , or the Post Office employee is a bit confused and is delivering their mail to your address , all the ‘avenues’ the letter advises you to take are genuine, so there is no way a scammer could benefit by providing genuine BT phone numbers , email addresses or postal addresses, if this had arrived as an unsolicited email and asked you to reply by clicking on a link in the email , it would be suspicious.

Message 4 of 10

It's a scam 100%.

Your comment makes no sense, why would someone else give BT my address? I get hundreds of scam emails a month.

I never open em, just mark em as Phishing & they get blocked.

Anyway this BT direct debit scam is destroyed, anymore that turn up will get the same treatment, same as the TV licence scam, they get binned too.

Message 5 of 10

OK , if this you think this  is a scam letter , how many scams offer several methods of reply , how many actually pay first  ( postage in this case ) without any likelihood of success, scammers can make calls , and send out emails ( from abroad with no chance of the authorities bothering them ) virtually cost free ,

This ‘scam’ asks you  to take one of three methods of reply , so if it’s a scam how do they know which you would take , you could call the 0800 number which is a BT number  , they don’t know if you are going to use a landline, or your mobile or even call from work , so they cannot be intercepting your call , they don’t know if you are going to log in to the genuine BT URL , and unlike a spam /scam email , that disguises their email behind a hyperlink for you to click , you would be entering the web address yourself, you may do this from a phone or a broadband, and as you say , you don’t have BT so they cannot be somehow intercepting that , they don’t know if you are going to send a letter to a PO Box , how do they intercept something sent via the Royal Mail to a PO Box in Sheffield ?, and as you are not even a BT customer, how many ‘letters’ that cost money so send would go to addresses , like yours that don’t use BT , seems pretty expensive way to pull a scam 

Message 6 of 10

I received almost exactly the same letter. I also have no contracts with BT. The cover letter seems genuine, with the same phone number and website, the user id they give me results in a response that the user ID does not exist when I try to log in. The originator on the separate Direct Debit form is 445287.

I contacted abuse@bt.com on Tuesday about this but I have still received no response. If the letter is genuine it is possible that someone used my identity to purchase some kind of mobile package, but as they have not responded I have no idea.

As far as i'm concerned I informed them of this issue.  

Message 7 of 10

Hi.
Funny u should mention about a mobile phone deal using my name & address.
I'd actually forgotten about some emails regarding a mobile phone contract in my name & sent to my email address.
I emailed sender, never gave any personal info, never received a reply, company is listed in Isle of Man ... I checked it out on Google maps on street view, it's a valid address just off the coast road.
Can't find any info of the company.
There's a scam in this somewhere.
I get dozens of scam calls/txts a month.
Dozens of scam emails a month.
Only had the 1 letter claiming to be BT asking to confirm my bank details for a direct debit.
Defo dodgy, tried contacting BT, **bleep** don't give a **bleep**, I've no account with em, they won't discuss it.
So **bleep** em.
Message 8 of 10

I've had no message or email from you.
Message 9 of 10

How does someone mistakenly give my address & not their own? 

Message 10 of 10

Hi @Gaz666 

Thanks for posting back apologies if you didn't get a private message previously.

I'd still like to have this investigated for you, I've sent you a private message asking for some details.

Thanks

Stuart