cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

Manhole cover broken for momths

How can I get some help? There has been a broken BT manhole cover on the main road, causing 24/7 extremely loud banging that is stopping me sleeping & effecting my mental health.  Council said it is BT problem.  I have called BT 4 times over the past 2months & each time am told an engineer will visit within. 48hrs.  Someone visits but nothing is fixed.  

no one will he’ll fix this 😞 

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: Manhole cover broken for momths

the cover has nothing to do with BT Retail and will be property of openreach.  you need to contact openreach

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/submitFeedbackLoggedInUser.do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 35

Oh?  The council said it was BT.  And the BT man came twice and said it was theirs.  

Message 4 of 35

thanks for the reply.  I checked again and the number I called 3 times already is the number on the link you sent.  2months on and there is still no sign of it being fixed despite 2 engineer visits already and another due this week since my 3rd report. 

Message 5 of 35

sorry but there is nothing this customer forum can do to help as there is no link from here to openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 35

This will not be repaired as such, it will require the old frame digging out and replaced with a new frame and lid. This will require traffic management or depending on where in the road the box is it may need a complete road closure.

Openreach have to apply to the council for this and depending on the road there may be a section 28 Inforce meaning roadworks can only take place at certain times of the year. 

Many roads cannot be worked in if its on a holiday route in the summer. 

So just because the work has not been completed it does not mean that work is going on in the background. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 7 of 35

My 5d worth. If the cover is definitely in the Roadway (as opposed to a layby or pavement) report the matter on the Devon Highways (D.C.C.) Website where you report a variety of matters, blocked gullies, faulty streetlights, damaged signage etc and harp on in the comment section on your report from the Safety Aspect - hazzard, danger to motorists etc etc. The wheels of D.C.C. will turn, usually slowly, (you can check the progress of your report online) and they will bring their influence (eventually) to bear on the authority whose duty it is to rectify / remedy this cover as Devon_Dave has described.
I know a bit about manhole covers as our Exeter based family business has littered the streets of Devon and beyond with their own produced Municipal Castings! There's a clue in my username.
Message 8 of 35

Hi Wenda!

Are you referring to the most noisy and 24/7 disturbing manhole BT from 39 Lower Stone Street by the Miller Heights building ???

OMG that metallic noise coming from the big lids right on the Street each and every other second when absolutely every car is passing over it..cars, lorries, buses... anything with wheels IT'S ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that no one cares to come and fix it...total lack of empathy for the neighbours of the Custcutter building &Miller Heights building plus across the street.

We've contacted the Council, the Highway Engineer for KCC, awaited for him in person to arrive at that manhole location and he recognised that is a BT Internet hole underneath and the broken lid must be fixed by BT people ( he was here in front of the manhole on 2nd of April 24), was already sprayed by someone and the gentleman was meant to find out by whom and when will be fixed....zero answers or signs of street closure at Night when is less traffic, so they can plan fixing it.

It appears that they forget we're human being that deserves a healthy resting and sleeping on our expensive renting places. I will write to the local Newspapers&BBC  as well, because I have a high risk pregnancy due to Epilepsy, distressed day& night, unable to keep it safe at all.The renting Agency doesn't deal with that, so we can't even move the flat elsewhere, safely...WHO TO CONTAAAAACT ????

I'm getting absolutely exhausted to beg for help and day by day the noise getting worse as traffic is non-stop.

WE NEED HELP... SOMEONE CAN HEAR/SEE US??

Message 9 of 35

Hi everyone!

Are you referring to the most noisy and 24/7 disturbing manhole BT from 39 Lower Stone Street by the Miller Heights building ???

OMG that metallic noise coming from the big lids right on the Street each and every other second when absolutely every car is passing over it..cars, lorries, buses... anything with wheels IT'S ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that no one cares to come and fix it...total lack of empathy for the neighbours of the Custcutter building &Miller Heights building plus across the street.

We've contacted the Council, the Highway Engineer for KCC, awaited for him in person to arrive at that manhole location and he recognised that is a BT Internet hole underneath and the broken lid must be fixed by BT people ( he was here in front of the manhole on 2nd of April 24), was already sprayed by someone and the gentleman was meant to find out by whom and when will be fixed....zero answers or signs of street closure at Night when is less traffic, so they can plan fixing it.

It appears that they forget we're human being that deserves a healthy resting and sleeping on our expensive renting places. I will write to the local Newspapers&BBC  as well, because I have a high risk pregnancy due to Epilepsy, distressed day& night, unable to keep it safe at all.The renting Agency doesn't deal with that, so we can't even move the flat elsewhere, safely...WHO TO CONTAAAAACT ????

I'm getting absolutely exhausted to beg for help and day by day the noise getting worse as traffic is non-stop.

Message 10 of 35

Hi everyone!