cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Scam or no Scam - no good trying to ask BT

I have received the email copied below several times to each of my BT email addresses. 

The email, as you will see, is not directly addressed to me, and stats in the same manor as scam emails, and therefore looks suspicious.

I tried following the BT website links to contact BT, and you just go around in circles, there is apparently no facility to forward the email to BT and ask a question, 

Is this email real or not

Checking my account, there is no mention of a change in term & conditions, speaking with BT, I am told they are not supplied with the information regarding terms & Conditions.

That leaves me with little choice but to wait until after the 25th August to see if my account stops.

I forwarded the email to Netcraft, they found it not to be suspicious, however, I am not convinced.

If it turns out to be genuine, then it is a pretty poor email, I have seen some better scams than this worded email.

Have any other users come across this email, or know anything about it

>>>> email >>>>

Dear BT User

We emailed you last month to let you know about changes we are making to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. These changes are key steps towards creating what's next for our consumers, like you, while empowering them with transparency and controls over how and when their data is used.

You can learn more about what these policies mean for you here, as well as more about the changes in our FAQs.
In order to continue to access your (BTINTERNET) Mail account after August 25th-2022, you will need to confirm you accept the Terms of Service. We also need a few moments of your time to explain how we manage your data and provide you with some choices in relation to the processing of that data.

Click here to start

(note link was automaticity removed when posting)

If you do not want the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy to apply to you, you will no longer be able to access your account from  August 25th-2022 .If you would like the contents of your email account, you may obtain a copy of your data by clicking here.

Thanks

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Thanks for choosing BT Cloud Phone.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Scam or no Scam - no good trying to ask BT

@Tony_St  I have never had any emails addressed to Dear BT User. Many actually use my first name.

It is a scam and an attempt to get you to click on the link.

Message 3 of 4

I follow a simple rule, never use links in emails, go directly to the website, and check.

I have always thought that banks, financial institution or indeed any legitimate company should stop using email links, and direct people to log into the website. but in this day of companies wanting to track everything you do online, they have brought this scam culture.

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the case.

Message 4 of 4

As has already been pointed out it is a scam.

See links for some information regarding scams.

What is a phishing scam? Is the email I have received genuine? | BT Help

BT Scams | What you need to know to stay safe | BT Help | BT Help