cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Swapped to EE from BT . Think this is a con

I got an email from BT saying I wished to cancel my contract which runs out in July 2025. I rang BT to explain this has nothing to do with me. I haven't been in touch with another provider . After 1 and a half hours on the phone and speaking to 5 people who all wanted me to take out a new contract and trying to explain that this email has come out of the blue and all they had to do was to agree that a mistake has been made somewhere that had nothing to do with me, I finally spoke to someone who more or less told me I have no choice but to go over to EE and therefore another 24 month contract. I complained and he assured me that I would still be able to leave on the date of my original contract next year. I told him I didn't believe him and that after 40 years with BT I don't trust them. Nobody had the wit to find out who the company was who contacted BT to tell them I was changing provider. They said they didn't know. My family said it's a scam but it's not but it's definitely a con to get people to take out another contract or pay £184 to get out of the contract I'm in now. I've now got the new EE kit, without a booster that I use from BT. To say I'm peed off is an understatement and if I had £184 to spare I'd throw in the towel and cancel my contract. Shoddy treatment from a company that used to have a good name. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Swapped to EE from BT . Think this is a con

I'm afraid this sort of muddle is all too common at the moment.

I'm inclined to give BT the benefit of the doubt and believe it's a c*ckup rather than a scam or con. However, BT's telephone agents are all incentivised to migrate people from BT to EE, so a lot of them will probably tell you it's impossible to stay with BT so as to maximise their commission.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Swapped to EE from BT . Think this is a con

Thanks for your reply. However I still think that if it was a genuine mistake on their part it could have been quickly resolved. But that seems to be not in their remit.