cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Why have I been charged for using 1471.  I thought it was free.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: 1471

Go to solution

@sylviadale 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

If you choose the option to call the number that is read out to you, then you will be charged 35p plus the cost of the call.

If you simply make a note of the number, then hang up and redial, then you would pay the normal rate for the call.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/all-about-bt-1471

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I have not used call back after using 1471 so I should not have been charged for the call.  I didn't even know the number to use as I have never used it.  I know it is only 35p but it is the principle.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

does your bill not tell you number called?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Someone will have done a callback, it's 35p for that

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

There is only me that uses the phone and I didn't know how to do a callback.  BT aren't infallible, they tried to charge me £200 for an engineer to call when they had booked him themselves.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Did you ever press 3 to return the call after listening to the number?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

As stated there is no charge for dialing 1471 , but if you chose to ‘return the call using BT’ by dialing 3 then there is a 35p charge for the facility,  so it’s either someone did dial 3 after 1471 , or it was some sort of one off glitch , obviously you and BT may have different views on what happened.

As you said it’s the principle not the 35p , so  rest assured 1471 is still free , returning the call via this method isn’t , if you are adamant the charge is wrong and neither yourself and no one else with access to the phone used 1471 ( which you obviously are familiar with and use  ) but didn’t use the return call option ,  it’s pretty certain that BT would waive the 35p if you dispute it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

No, didn't even know it was 3

0 Ratings