cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

2nd line and Split account query

Hi

Really need some help understanding what's possible with a copper line at a property.

A relative has moved into a propery which is served by BT. There is also an approx 10Mpbs internet connection.

The phone line was in the name of the previous tennant which were in the process of taking over.

However, another party supports my relative at their property and were repeatedly being told that the internet is connected with them - something seperate from the previous tennant which is really confusing me.

All I see on the wall is a BT socket with 2 connections - one for data and the other voice?

Is it possible for 2 accounts to be on the same copper line?

i.e bill seperate for the voice and data?

Or could a 2nd line be present providing the internet ?

The voice at the propery has stopped working apparently due to a restriction on the service. The internet still does work but I'm concerned if its all one account then it could stop soon as well.

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: 2nd line and Split account query

Yes, it was once possible to have the phone & broadband supplied by different companies, but this is no longer offered. So when you take over the line as a new customer, you'll have to choose one supplier for both.

Message 3 of 21

Thanks for the reply.

Is therefore possible that this could be the existing setup?

When we take over the line might this then cut off the internet provided to the other party?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

If the previous occupant was with BT , and your relative is not using BT but has chosen to use another provider, their issue ( TBF ) has nothing to do with BT , and they ( or you ) should be taking it up with the provider you/they have  chosen to use if they have no working service at the address …….phone sockets with ‘BT’ on them are simply from an era when BT were the network provider, that’s now Openreach .

As far as your questions ,
1 . Yes , but very rare ( shared metallic path facility ) but not offered anymore so cannot be your issue .
2. Yes , there may be another socket somewhere if the property had two lines previously.

If you can only ‘find’ the previous occupants ‘stopped’ BT  service , then either another master socket exists with your providers service on it , or much more likely , your provider has not identified the correct address so has not taken over the correct BT service , or has not progressed your order at all .

Message 5 of 21

Entirely possible.

The previous tenant should have cancelled both services but maybe they forgot they were split? But taking over the line with a new phone & broadband package will cancel the existing broadband.

Just bear in mind that a new phone package is likely to be digital through the broadband router rather than the existing telephone sockets. But I guess you won't know for sure until you order.

Message 6 of 21

We need service ASAP.
We're thought staying with BT as they already serve the property would be simplier.
I only know of 1 connection point in the house ( with the data and voice ports ) so I really lean to only 1 line being present.
I understand what your saying about 2 accounts on one line not being offered anymore but I wonder if it might be the setup as it might have been this way for many years ( previous tennant disabled and lived with support ).

Consistently being told though that internet is somehow seperate from the previous tennant. Either the account division you speak of exists or theres a misunderstanding going on about the voice/data being seperate accounts.

The voice no longer connects on the line but internet still works as of yesterday. BT said the voice was restriced/switched off due to payment. Im not sure if this a partial restriciton on the line ( or again seperate accounts for data and voice on same line ).

The previous tennant passed away and I only know a small amount about their account ( data protection )

Were placing our own order with BT for the home essentials package on the existing copper line which is imminently about to be completed ( actually expecting a call back ).

The whole issue of the internet being seperate though has me wondering what will happen if we take the line over. If one line with 2 accounts whats happens to other account?

I'll put this to BT as well on the phone shortly. Sorry for the book- on here to learn. my hair is now grey...
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Sounds like no one has notified the companies of the death. The responsibility for that would usually fall to the next of kin but maybe there wasn't one. Hopefully that shouldn't prevent you taking over as new customer & as I said previously, that will terminate the broadband from the other supplier.

@iniltous 

Would outstanding debt on the account prevent or hinder a takeover, given that it appears BT haven't been notified of the death of the existing account holder?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

is you relative still in broadband contract and therefore transferring account to new home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

no isn't a transfer

trying to setup his own account on the line
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Outstanding debt isn’t a reason to cancel a takeover ( or a migration for that matter ) , so even if the former occupant left with an outstanding debt , all that happens is the ‘sorry to so you leave ‘ communication if the ‘line’ is still working ( working line takeover ) , if that goes unanswered 10 days later the change takes place .

Presumably the OP has had confirmation from the non BT provider they used that the service is ready , so the possible reasons why that provider hasn’t got their service onto the socket the OP has found have been mentioned.

TBH , the only way forward is for whatever company the OP relative has used to investigate why service hasn’t started , and if necessary task Openreach to visit .

Is anyone else getting this thread presented incorrectly, my  entry ( this one )  shows  as message 1 , the original post as message 10 , makes reading the entire thread weird , last post first , first post last .