cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Account name change

Hi all.  My account is in the name of my husband who left some years ago and I have carried on paying the bills. I'm now a pensioner in receipt of pension credit so need to consider the BT Essentials package but how do I do that if the account is still in his name as I'll need to provide my personal details of income? I no longer have contact with him. Any advice will be very welcome. Thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Account name change

@Sue56 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

You cannot change the name on an account.

Place a new order in your name. That will initiate a Working Line Takeover which normally takes 10 days.

Your husband`s account will be closed automatically, and provided he is out of contract, then he would not be changed any cancellation costs.

You may be able to get the Essentials package

https://www.bt.com/broadband/home-essentials

If so, you will need to ring the number shown, to place your order.

Message 3 of 5

Thank you @Keith . Will I still keep my old phone number?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

You would be issue with a new phone number, but you should be able to request a re-number back to your old number, once your service is active.

If you have any issues getting your number back, then its possible a moderator may be able to help, if you have no luck with BT customer services.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@Sue56 

Another thing to be aware of, is that all new provisions will have their phone service delivered using BT Digital Voice, which means your phone will now need to plug into the phone socket on the back of the BT Smart Hub 2, which you will be issued with, and not on the normal phone socket.

0 Ratings